[Spit-project] Spit height and stuff

Virginia Gatling ginlee at cnbcom.net
Thu Jun 14 04:25:09 PDT 2007

> I'm trying to remember Regina's old set-up -- I think in one version she
> may have used short A-frames?  Your Excellency?

OK, Ready for my ramblings.....or how hyper am I....

I've used so many different setups depending on what is being cooked, number
of people cooking for, weather, the ground or no ground fire rule, amt of
wood needed, available space in the trailer,what's available at site etc..
I've used short A-frames (18" to 21/2 foot from the fire) & short H-frames
(I use one for hanging utensils ), I've also used the tripod (the10 foot one
which has a bar that fits along two poles to hang things from, the height
depends on how wide your base is) with a hanging triangle that turns the
spinning chicken freely without having to constantly turn the birds (I
prefer spitting the birds myself with the turning spit, it gives me a good
reason to sit and rest. :-) ) I've also had to make last minute -this will
work ideas(trailer chain)- because something was loaned out, missing (S
hooks are always lost I found some in Big Lots that work when you can't make
or find the good ones) or forgotten. ( I still have 6 portable holes and the
BIG turning spit (for half cows), that have not made it back to my camp). I
have 2 others that I am using now but smaller.

I'm planning a new setup and it will be approx. 3-41/2 foot (easier for me
to work with). It will be based on the type Gunthar wants {a little later
period for me but I want to try it). I already have the material just trying
to work in the time to get it done.Maybe by next Gulf War we can get many
together to try and see what works best. I also have plans for a smaller
version that would work for 2-4 people ( How about a table top working
spit?) with smaller amts.plus several ideas for a cook "Tent" and enclosures
for the cook area. TiMe TimE Time :-o  Lets not forget the table and chairs
need new ones.

I found my old hand made metal pots but decided to let the flowers keep
them. The 2 Dutch ovens that I have are being cleaned but I don't really
like to use them. I have ordered several potjie pots and should have them in
a few weeks. I'm looking forward to using them. (Shades of MacBeth) ;-)

Another project. I was reading an article on "Viking" pottery being hand
thrown and cured in a big earth charcoal wood fire mound. I think I may try
this.... ummmm. Anyone have any info or ideas on this?

Alix, I still would like that bread recipe. It was sooogood.

Regina