[Spit-project] King's College class Test Pt 1 (long)

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 18 06:35:59 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
Next came the spinning chicken. A tripod was set up by the
fire. A chicken was tightly trussed and then two metal skewers
were placed through the cavity. One by the wings and one by
the legs. A length of twine was looped through the "S-Hook"
hanging from the top of the tripod and then another longer
string was threaded through this loop. At the ends of this string
two small hoops where tied and these threaded through the
skewer from one end of the chicken. The chicken hung point
down and the string twisted. <<<SNIP>>>

First, hat off to you!  cooking over the live fire is a step too few take,
and a joy too few experience.  Glad to see you out there taming the beast.
I have found that, like forging, the fire is the real skill.  Knowing that
it is almost a living thing that has to be cared for, nurtured and
controlled makes life simpler.  I envy your doing it and teaching classes.

Does point down mean "head down", breat closest to fire?

As a suggestion for later experimentation, I suggest putting dark meat
closest to the fire.  It will cook faster and leave the white meat to cook
slower and possibly moister.  Sure, you lose the self basting value of dark
meat higher, but it will possibly give a more evenly cooked bird.

pacem et bonum
niccolo difrancesco