[Spit-project] Hanging upside down.

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 10:19:50 PDT 2007

My apologies for taking so long to get back on this.
I just realized it was on my "To Respond" list and
I never did.

>As a suggestion for later experimentation, I suggest putting dark meat
>closest to the fire.  It will cook faster and leave the white meat to cook
>slower and possibly moister.  Sure, you lose the self basting value of dark
>meat higher, but it will possibly give a more evenly cooked bird.
>
>pacem et bonum
>niccolo difrancesco

That is something I'm working to figure out as well. And I think
your idea is probably best. By starting it with the dark meat
down it will cook longer since it will also be at least maintaining
cooked temp when turned up and the white meat will be
marinated as it cooks down by the drippings coming through
from the dark.

But we did find the white meat was pretty moist the other way
as well. Especially if the chicken is allowed to sit for awhile. When
we served the Dutch Oven roasted chicken to the class the white
meat was starting to dry slightly. But the birds served at the pot
luck later were incredibly moist.

At Pennsic we'll probably spin a chicken and a leg of lamb. The
chicken will be done dark side down to start.

I just made my first homemade sausages last night and I can't
wait to try them out on a spit at some point.

Gunthar