[Spit-project] Spit height and stuff

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 08:16:37 PDT 2007

>May I suggest a higher spit and some trammel hooks? Trammel hooks are
>essentially adjustable S-hooks. Easy to make- shall I teach you?

I've seen trammel hooks and they are very convenient. I didn't think
I needed a higher spit until I really tested my 3' spit out and realized
it seems too low. I think possibly a 5' spit system would be ideal.
And, if I don't have trammel hooks I can just interlink S hooks to the
correct height.

>Well, I'm building my two camping/smithing shelters. Am redyeing the
>curtains and reshaping them, designing a lid for my 8' X 16' garage
>shelter ( and getting ready to cut and dye the material) and putting
>tung oil on poles and my chairs- generally working in smithing, but
>not with steel or iron, damn it.

Regina and I came to the realization that some kind of high, fireproof
and vented shelter with moveable walls is really needed for outdoor
cooking. It keeps the sun and rain off as well as controls the wind.
I'm thinking some form of high roof with a top cap smoke hole. Rather
like those patio umbrellas with the flap at the top to keep them from
blowing away in the wind.

One rather amusing thing I discovered was that you have to watch
the positioning of the spinning chickens because they will tend to
spin into each other or the uprights.

>--
>Saint Phlip

Gunthar