[Spit-project] Long Member Introduction & Questions

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 18 06:46:07 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
>- does one move the coals around to create a hot spot and a medium
>spot and a warm spot to cook different dishes?

Yep.
You control your heat by moving coals and/or distance from the heat. > > > >

My experience is that this is where the real "art" of live fire cookery
comes in.  Learning to bank your coals, stoke coals when needed, etc. will
make you more effective as a cook.  It comes from experience, since type of
wood, type of coals and coal container measurements all affect these.  I
have done lots with roasting whole animals and large cuts of meat on spits,
and find that banking the coals around the meat (rather than in the center)
was a skill I had to learn.  It is fun to learn how different ways of
setting up your coal bed will cook differently.

It is fun and challenging, but eminently learnable.

niccolo difrancesco