[Spit-project] Long Member Introduction & Questions

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 5 19:01:08 PDT 2007

Hi, Ranvaig:

>Uratim, how wonderful that you are coming to Pennsic!  I really want
>to meet you!

I'd love to meet you!

>I'll be driving from Ohio on Monday.   I am cooking a 10th c Irish
>feast there on Sunday (over fire).  The plan is to cook dinner, wash
>up, pack everything in the van for Pennsic and leave first thing in
>the morning.  Boy, I'm an optimist.

Good luck with the plan :-)

>If there is anything I can bring on Monday, let me know.  I know I
>can get fresh herbs and the other things here.
>
>When will you be doing your meal?

Alas, i don't yet know. I'll hear from Queen Kaaren when we get
closer to the event.

>The SCA-India group is doing their Biyari on Tues, as long as you
>don't conflict with that, I'd love to help.  (You might want to come
>to that too, if your schedule permits).

Oooh, i'd love to attend - i've checked with the group. I have one
not-quite-period Indian cook book (1st half of the 17th C.), and i'd
love to learn more. If it doesn't conflict with cooking for the West,
i'll be there.

(SNIP excellent information about cooking on a fire/coals)

Thank you for what i snipped, it is really useful.

Thanks for the timing of the fire - i know it needs to start ahead of
time, but i wasn't sure how long. It sounds like patience is a virtue
when using a real fire. One can be peeling, slicing, and dicing while
the fire gets to the right stage.

I know most cooking is done on hot coals, not roaring flames, but
there are many subtleties to cooking on a real fire. I figure with
the rice, some cultures put the rice into the water before it comes
to a boil, and it sounds like that would work on a real fire. Thanks
for all the other rice hints

>See if you can help them with a meal before you are on your own with
>their setup.  Good luck.

That's a really good suggestion.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)