[Spit-Project] Teaching a Class as the West Cooks Collegium

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 26 13:06:55 PDT 2008

> Does anyone have any experiences they would like to
> share so that I may share them as well (if you don't
> mind being mentioned as the source), or any pictures
> (besides the ones on the group site).
>
> Thank you for your help and input,
> Lady Eileen Kathryn of Hareswood.

Hmmm.....well. If you are doing clay or salt wrapped chickens
that are buried, check the soil. Sandy soil loses heat rapidly
so either build a much bigger fire or line the pits with
aluminum foil.

Spinning chickens take a lot longer to cook next to an open
fire than in front of a fireplace.

Try not to hold an open fire cookery class when it is
nearly 100 degrees out.

Learn the approximate temperature per briquette ratio
with dutch oven cooking.

Have plenty of cool drinks (preferably period drinks)
available for the students.

Don't catch your shoes on fire.

Gunthar