[Spit-Project] Late period pot

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Apr 23 12:56:53 PDT 2009

Potjies are nice pots, however, the ones y'all are finding on sale are
all cast iron. Cast iron, as near as I can find, was known in period,
but was considered trash metal, and wasn't used for anything that I've
found...yet.

If you notice the pot described was made of bronze, and so far as I've
found, metal cooking pots were made of copper (see the Mastermyr find)
bronze, possibly brass, and tin. While they're all metal, they all
would not only be very expensive, and thus limited to the wealthy,,
AND, for our purposes, would have different cooking and flavor
characteristics.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM, masahide at summerscauldron.com