[Spit-Project] How about some discussion?

Meisterin Katarina Helene meisterin02 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 20:30:34 PDT 2009

My spit is an adaptation of the one on the Yahoo group home page... you can find images of it in the Photos section in the Katarina Helene folder.  I started out with a smaller one that had two uprights and a spit with an angled handle... and the things that hold the pig on the spit (I can't recall what they are called, Phlip, you probably know).  I have done as large as a 40 pound pig on the big spit, and have actually gotten a 30 pound one onto the smaller spit.  I don't have images of the smaller spit, but the larger one is shown with a couple pigs on it (different years).

I just loaded in two images of my newish raised firebed (built for Pennsic 37).  In the one for Pennsic 38, you can see both spit rods on the big frame, the smaller diameter spit rod is for my smaller spit, as are the things that are holding the chickens.

Someone else made this spit for me, by the way.  Actually, I bought the first smaller one at Pennsic 19, I think, from a smith merchant.

No one will fault you for using cast iron cookware, by the way... But, know that there are several good pottery merchants at Pennsic who sell wonderful cooking pots and the like... be sure to check them all out there.  (Do you know of House Blackthorne in Malagentia?  Some of their members camp with me at Pennsic.  Feel free to stop by Good Friends Camp in N-01 there.)

Hope this gives you some good ideas.  Be sure to check out the folder in Photos at the Yahoo group on Spits and Cooking Setups... these are from the web and are all from groups in Europe (I think) doing actual period reinactments.  But, as Johnna said, the folders there are full of wonderful ideas for you to work from.

Shire of Narrental (Peru, Indiana) http://narrental.home.comcast.net
Middle Kingdom

The problem is that we aim too low and hit the mark." -- Michaelangelo