[Spit-Project] How about some discussion?

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Jul 17 13:33:49 PDT 2009

Hey, Erin,

I would assume you got here too late to see my invitation to all and
sundry who are interested in period cookery over an open fire to join
us both Wednesdays at my camp. We'll be cooking using an open fire,
period pottery reproductions, and whatever else we may happen to come
up with, starting roughly at noon, and continuing until the food is
cooked and we get to sit down and eat it.

Just found the invitation I wrote up. As a new person, please feel
free to come visit at any time.

Since you folks have expressed an interest, those of you who are going
to Pennsic might be interested in what we're doing. We have a potter
who has been experimenting with her pots in our camp. Here are a few
pictures of the last three events:

http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/pennsic2006cooking.html
http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/pennsic2007cooking.html
http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/pennsic2008cooking.html

This is NOT a formal class, and is not announced as such. Instead, it
is a group of interested people experimenting and making a meal over
an open fire, using period style pottery, cast iron Dutch ovens,,
spits, strings, grills, and whatever other bit of creativity we can
come up with, to make ourselves a communal meal.

Please bring yourselves, an interest, a recipe, and the ingredients
necessary, and feel free to join the experiments. If you bring your
own pots fine, if not that's fine too ;-) We'll have a few that need
contents ;-)

While we're striving to learn more about period cooking and
authenticity, we will not toss you out of camp if you fail to meet
some mysterious standard ;-) All you really need is a love of good
food, and a willingness to learn ;-) We are a camp of cooks, so we'll
have quite a few things available that you might find in any kitchen-
including a propane freezer and range, running water, sharp knives and
cutting boards, and assorted utensils.

We will be doing this on both Wednesdays of War, with camp open at
Noon, and food expected to be served about 7 PM. We often have a mini
bardic, and chat afterwards, so brews and brewers and story tellers
are also welcome.

This will occur on BOTH Wednesdays of Pennsic, starting at Noonish
until whenever, at SPCA camp, in W10, on the Lake near Orluk Oasis.
There will be a sign on the Roman Road pointing to camp, and almost
anyone in the area can point you to me (Phlip or Saint Phlip) or our
camp.

Please feel free to join us ;-)