ST - Some neat stuff from Queen's

Genevieve de Courtanvaux gdc at airmail.net
Mon Jan 31 08:21:50 PST 2000

The iris went to Benedict Ashton. A lot of you know Benedict by his former
name, Jessop. Or at least will recognize him by the fact that he was the
winner of the men's late period at this past 12th Night. I know that
Benedict is not on the list but offer up my congratulations to him anyway as
I so respect the work he does in his primary field of costuming.

>I remember an Iris being given out, another compass rose, a couple of
AoA's;
>many thanks to the hard work of the Autocrat who was in contact with HRM
>during the week previous and put on the event in spite of really nasty
>weather conditions, and to the list mistress', Stella Silvana, Serena
>Lasalles, Aslyn Crystyn (Mistress of the Laurel all), who watched the
entire
>competition and kept it running so smoothly.

Anytime anyone wants to know about how rapier works (as in understanding
what you see) I would gladly talk about it. And as for understanding on
rapier on the field my husband would be glad to instruct anyone. And, yes,
Borek the fighting was enjoyed by all. There was no bad blow calling only
honor was present on that day. It was a truly spectacular event!!!

>I saw some of the fighting and the foolery by some of the fighters was
>enjoyed by all. Much of the fighting was lost on me. I have not done much
>fighting, so I could not tell what was good or bad or even when one or the
>other contestant was defeated. Everything happened so fast, but I could
tell
>the fighting was appreciated by all.

Ah, and here is a new passion.....(I can't help but smile).....I think I
will have a hard time explaining my feelings on this since I have already
related how great the day for the adults was but I have to say that I had
more fun on Sunday watching the kids. This is a wonderful trend that I hope
to see happen here in the Steppes. The children had a blast and the parents
and other spectators had even more fun watching the children. As for
reporting what happened I borrow Don Tivar's words as he reported it to the
Ansteorra list:
On Sunday, we held the first Tournament of the Queen's Hope, for youth
rapier fighters. In the 12-14 age group, Fernando Montoya de Luna won the
list, his sister Faith Owlette was named Guardian of the Queen's Hope. In
the 15-17 age group, Rosalind Moondragon won the list and was also named
Guardian of the Queen's Hope.

>I left just after court. Could anyone relate what happend with the youth
>rapier competition Sunday Morning and who the 'Defender of the Queen's
Hope'