[Steppes] Directions for war practice

Mike & Crystal Lemming portofun at ticnet.com
Thu Oct 18 13:51:05 PDT 2001

Greetings my friends,

I would first like to say thank you to everyone who worked hard to unite the
groups in a common practice.  It is through unity, friendship, and
compromise that the SCA grows stronger.

I would also like to commend William for doing an excellent job in handling
his job well as archery marshal.  You owe no apology to anyone.  It is
difficult to deal with people who do not understand the SCA.  Flying arrows,
catapults, ballista, throwing axes and all other things ancient and
combative in nature must seem rather strange (and a bit frightening) to
outsiders.  I have been playing for so long that sometimes I forget that
point.  William, I support your efforts to strengthen our baronial archery
contingent, while looking to your regional and kingdom marshals for support
when dealing with the local beaurocracy.  The Barony of the Steppes has
tried to maintain a friendly and open link to the mundane community around
them since it was formed.  I believe that (although slower) it is better in
the long run to cultivate a positive relationship with the people around
you.  Thanks to William's efforts, it sounds like archery is a go for Sunday
if Hal has no problems with the issue.

I would also like to commend the Fray and Dux for their consistent
attendance at practices and their drive to make everyone better melee
fighters.  Trimaris will not stand against Ansteorra if we are united and
trained throughout our fair kingdom.

As Ansteorrans, however, we must remember above all, that it is courtesy and
honor that should drive our motives.  We must be united and driven to not
only develop our marshal prowess, but our courtesy toward one another and to
those outside the SCA.  Almost all of us at one time or another were outside
of the SCA, and the only way that we will grow in a good way is to show
those people outside that we offer them something that they can't get
everywhere - courtesy, honor, chivalry, and honesty.  The only place I know
where I can leave my valuables out is at an SCA event.  This may sound off
the track of this thread, but there are more things at stake here than
shooting bows or swinging sticks.

As the Steppes Knight Marshal, I welcome the Fray and the archery contingent
with open arms.  Practice will be better if you are there with the
enthusiasm that I have seen from you before.  Practice without any of you
would be smaller and perhaps less productive, but practice without courtesy,
honor, chivalry, honesty, and friendship will not happen on my watch!
What's the point?

In Service,

Sir Don Miguel
Steppes Knight Marshal