ST - Re:

Roy Heath the_one_true_roy at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 11:29:27 PST 2001

I'm not familiar with the term 'talkabout', but I'm assuming that this refers to the Motorola
professional radio units that we have been renting for several years.  If so, this is
something that has been discussed at various times in the past and decided against because of
cost and maintenance issues, but technology may be on our side now.

I think this should be debated at a business meeting soon so that we can have time to make a
decision before warlord, but I think that radios operating in the FRS band might be an
excellent investment for the barony provided that we get the units which operate on AA
batteries and not the rechargeable litium ion or nickel cadmium battery models.

There are a large number of radios available from different manufacturers with different
feature sets but basically the same performance.  I personally favor the Motorola brand T6300
series because, while they are more expensive, they seem to be a good quality product and have
the full range of channels available.

I would welcome hearing from anyone who has experience with any of the FRS radios because my
lady and I have been planning to purchase a pair of these for our personal use before warlord
anyway, so that might mean that the barony does not need as many right now because I am
currently the baronial pursuivant.