ST - Re: ES - flagpole Hill

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 20 13:06:12 PDT 2001

*Giggle*

I can just see all these Gladiators running about with their knees together,
thanks Don Alaric *grin*

Let me explain my position for those of you who may not understand.  And
first state that I am an honest and direct person, and do not like to mince
words.

Lord Richard is our squire.  Duncan and I both interact and teach the
squires, apprentices and protege's in our household.

Lord Richard also swore an oath of fealty to us.  Part of our oath to him
was to protect and defend him, as well as teach and nurture him.

Allowing him to be set aside and not able to practice or play with everyone
else would be in my eyes oath breaking.  We take our commitments seriously.
I have chosen most often to not go to Flagpole Hill, but I had a choice, he
doesn't.

I would have made the same statements for any other person had they been
necessary, please know that.  However, many of the fighters at that practice
are our squires, and they are driving over an hour to a practice where they
have no water, they are uncomfortable, the cannot use the restroom or wash
their hands.

I am all about tradition.  However, this is where the fighters go to
practice, and I don't see why anyone who is content to sit in their homes on
Sunday, not fight, not waterbear, not come out and talk to the interested
newcomers (and there are lots at the new proposed site) would be upset about
moving the place where the fighters practice.  This isn't about hurting
anyone's feelings, it is about practicality and growth.

Now, if you were talking about changing the name of the Barony, the device,
the coronets, making a Baronial guard or creating a new award for the group,
then I can see all the discussions and hoopla.

But this is my opinion, and I know that others feel differently, which is
what makes us diverse and interesting.

However, Duncan and I have a responsibility to our squires, apprentices and
protege's and will be working with them at the park at Keller Springs and
Kelly on the Sundays we are in town, and on those that we are not, the
senior fighters will still be there to teach and practice, and I maintain
that as with all of our practices and open houses, anyone is welcome.

If some deity sheds a light on a superior site that is not an hours drive
from the active fighters as Flag Pole is, has nice amenities and everyone is
happy about it, then we are open for further exploration.

So please understand that, while I know that the site can have some special
memories, and respect that, I have the needs of squires who are working on
their skills to think of, and that is what influences my decision.

Larissa, writing not as Princess, but the head of a large household in
Steppes.