[Steppes] Event Changes - long

Aaron Robb philo_net at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 09:00:46 PDT 2002

--- "morgancain at earthlink.net" <morgancain at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I like this alternative better.  It doesn't add something to an
> already
> overcrowded event, as putting Artisan with Warlord would do.

Hurm, it would be difficult, however, to have any indoor space for a
propper artisan at 12th night. The current site is at capacity
(especially with Isteffod, which appears to be wedded to 12th night
now).

To fit it in where we are currently at would involve removing
something - seats and tables for "back of the hall" ppl, merchants,
circle meetings, etc. Having actually directed traffic at the 12th
night where we had to move out displays and set up more tables
["Calling Duchess X, table for 6 now ready" :) ] this would be v.
disruptive to the event, and quite difficult on the event staff.

Now if Artisan was held outside, in some tent, etc. at 12th night,
that would be something we could fit in, it would just need to have
it's own sub-steward dealing with it probablly. I agree that it would
be another nice addition where we could also educate ppl about the
Society. Plus, having it outside means we might be able to have the
brewers and vinters participate :) Inside the is no alcohol allowed
except that which is sold at the bar (TABC codes and what not).

> It takes two
> events with not-quite-enough, and gives people more to do at 12th

Ack! Having autocrated 12th night I might object to saying there
wasn't "quite enough" :) !

> Night
> than just visit and shop, while giving the contestants for Artisan
> more
> exposure than they receive otherwise.  Frankly, if I am an Artisan
> I don't
> want to go to Warlord only to be stuck in a building for two days,
> there is
> too much going on outside and elsewhere, and why be isolated from
> the
> activities?  Many Artisans and competitors are fighters, merchants,
> and
> other people who need to be outside participating in Warlord, not
> stuck
> away in a building.

And artisan fits more with the non-fighting/court event of 12th night
as well, part of a celebration of the gentle arts.

Philo

=====
---
Aaron D. Robb, M.Ed., NCC, LPC

"Now I lay me down to sleep / I hear the sirens in the street
All my dreams are made of chrome / I have no way to get back
home" - Tom Waits