[Steppes] Principality opinion

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Thu Oct 3 10:06:11 PDT 2002

> But I have never lived in a kingdom that had principalities, so I only
> pose questions for others to address...
>
> Suzanna, herbalist

Okay, I have lived in a Kingdom that was basically cut into two
Principalities, a Northern and a Southern.  I was also very involved with
the entire Kingdom structure from the local level up to Kingdom, so I have a
pretty good idea of how things work.  At least how they worked *there*,
which is completely socially, traditionally, anthropologically different
than here.  So anyway
here goes.

Crown/Coronet Tournaments  Coronations/Coronettings
Usually staggered 3 months apart from each other.  Basically each quarter
had either a tournament or an elevation happening.

Events
You had Kingdom Level events, Principality Events, and Local Events.  No
event could conflict with a Kingdom Level event.  Principality events could
conflict with each other.  Local events could not conflict with Kingdom or
Principality events, but can conflict with each other (see Calendaring
below).

Calendaring
2nd Weekend--Kingdom Level Event
3rd Weekend--Principality Level Event
1st and 4th Weekend (and 5th if there is one)--Local Level Event

Kingdom can use a Principality weekend and visa versa if the Crown/Coronets
and their Seneschals agree.  They can swap dates or one can just give a date
to the other if it isn't going to be used.

Each Principality had a full slate of officers and their own awards that are
handed out by the Coronet.  The award structure usually mirrors the Kingdom
Level award structure.  Coronets are allowed to give out Kingdom level
awards if so allowed by the Crown.  That can be a blanket okay on AoA's to a
case by case basis.

What this breaks down to is:
The ability for at least 12 Kingdom level events a year
The ability for at least 12 Principality level events a year
The ability for at least 24 Local events a year (usually 12 of those were
used as "official" Baronial Fighter Practice/Court events where the bulk of
Baronial awards were given out, thus shortening Kingdom and Principality
Courts.

The Officer slates tended to work this way (and this was also how things
were "pushed" to help in training of Officers).

People started out in local offices.  After they were comfortable in that
they were encouraged to look at a Principality position.  After they spent
time in the Principality job, and were comfortable in that they were
encouraged to move to Kingdom.  Old used Kingdom Officers many times went
back to the local level jobs (after a suitable rest)to help train deputies
or fill emergency vacancies.  The added benefit was if you needed a Kingdom
level Officer you could look at the Principality candidates and usually find
someone.  If you needed a Principality officer you look to your local
groups.  Each one is a small step up and a small increase in complexity so
no one if overwhelmed when they get into the next layer of Office.

This structure also tends to foster a very, very strong "Service" mentality.
The Pelican's also tend to keep their fingers in things since they end up
working through the system and are comfortable with the structure.

It worked well there.  I don't know if it would work well here.

Just some more information to aid people discussion.

Going back to my mint julep
Pet.