[Steppes] Re: Weather at Steppes

Gerita hpockets at verizon.net
Tue Jun 3 09:44:00 PDT 2003

> Just out of curiosity, how much land do we need to hold a Warlord sized
event?

Adding in Equestrian and Coursing, as we did this year, Canton is a little
shy on wide-open fields.

> Would we carry water from a well?

Sure.
 Can we do without electricity?

No.  This tramples on mobility issues for those needing scooters to
participate, and other issues for those needing (not wanting) fans and CPAPs
at night.

 What about nettles, burrs, fire ants, etc?

Canton has fire ants.  Last year they decided our tent was the best place to
set up a new community.  People should be shod, so cuckleburs should not
pose a threat. Nettles, now, that may be another story.

 Wild animals?

As in what?  I think everyone has their "i draw the line at" creature.  I'd
say no to a site in bear country, for example, on general safety principles
. . . . . I also dislike severely serpents and their ilk (eels, sea snakes)

> What would we be willing to pay in site fee for a very primitive area on
private land around Weatherford?  (extremely remote possibility).

That would obviate one thing that was stated earlier as 'needed' - a large
hall.  Sounds like we'd have to build a port-a-potty city as well.

> We need to clarify our criteria if we decide to look for another site...

Lists have been published on this list since Warlord this year.  They all
sound quite similar to me:
Lots of room for fighting, archery, equestrian, and coursing.
Camping space, preferably shaded.
A large hall for A&S, classes, and Court (preferably A/C, and dreaming
here - acoustically correct so we can hear Court).
I've heard Canton's bath house mentioned as well. . . .
Camping availability for handicapped individuals, which would include
electricity to at least a few sites.
Easy access to water, and i've heard 'throughout the site' mentioned as
well.

Hope this helps.

Gerita