[Steppes] Steppes Archer

David Ruff dmruff1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 05:37:40 PDT 2003

Greetings unto the Steppes

I am sorry for the long delay in announcing your
newest Steppes archery defender. My computer decided
it wanted to show me who really was boss and well....
i am of course :) (covers the computers speakers)

For those of you that witnessed the archery shoot you
know it was a tough one, for those that did not, let
me take a moment to run down the shoot.

There was a castle wall shoot in which the archer had
to fire into a window, however each shot the archer
had to step behind a shield to load losing sight of
their target and step back out to shoot. They had 30
seconds to fire as many arrows as they could.

There was a moving animal round in with a deer and
raccoon moved along a hanging rope. It was the archers
choice in which target they wanted to shoot, or if
they so desired they could shoot at both.

There was a dreaded archers bar shoot in which the
archer had to fire his/her arrows/bolts into a black
line that was 2.5 inches wide at 22 yards. Either you
hit the bar, of you did not.

after this the archer faced a walking shoot in which
the archer had a time limit to fire and walk down the
line at 8 targets.

After all this there were 3 archers standing and the
baron and baroness decided the final shoot to choose
their champion. They decided that there would be two
targets. One was a ball and the other a target. By
using a time limit and choice the archer would have to
decide to shoot at a low point target OR a close in
small target that counted for major points.

So did Jason of Many Bows fire the winning shot in the
last second of the round thus winning the right to be
called the steppes Archery defender. Be looking for
great things from this archer, he is quite skilled and
very well rounded as an archer - able to adapt to the
shoot and target at a seconds notice.

VIVAT JASON!!!!!

notable mentions go to:

HL Ironwyrm for very strong competition on the field.

HL Moreg for her skill with a crossbow - lookout lords
and ladies!!!!

There was a gentleman that has returned back to
archery after a long absence - his name escapes me...
But he did make it to the 3rd round after a brief home
practice - showing excellent skill in the competition.

Thank you to those that did pull targets, help in the
running of, setup and breakdown of this competition!!!
Your help was and will be remembered.

Lord Ulrich of Carolingia
Elfsea Archery Marshal
Past Steppes archery Defender