[Steppes] US Soldier care package drive update....need more stuff.

Julie Cunningham juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 14:41:16 PDT 2004

Gang

We are still in need of items.  We have only a handful of items so far - only 1 person donated items, and another donated cash for postage.

We need more stuff to send.  Here is the original missive.  Keep in mind it could be old books or magazines that you are not reading anymore, it could be something in the back of your pantry.... Dont forget - they want to hear from us, too.  So write a letter, enclose a picture!

Bring your stuff to Artisan or Populace.

If you need to contact me, my home number is 214-485-1593.

YIS
Kathryn

********original post*****

 In response to Sir Pendaran and Mistress Jehanne, and to honor the life of a fellow SCA member Friedrich von Konigsberg , lets have a drive for care packages for our soldiers.

Bring your items to Populace, Business Meeting and Artisan. Deadline will be August Populace.

So what can you bring? Here is a the list:

Beanie Babies (they can give these to the children, which helps them make allies)Breakfast-type foods and drinks are the most needed.
Beefaroni, ravioli, spaghetti & meatballs, etc
Beef Jerky Candy, gum, trail mix, etc.
Fruit, in the small flip top cans. (Put zip-top cans in a plastic bag!)
Cereal bars, granola bars, Special-K bars, etc.
Coffee, instant and regular, and filters.
Coffee cups. (metal, camping types are good.)
Coffee makers, hot plates.
Canned nuts.
Canned chips, like the potato sticks or the small canned Pringles,
Doritos, etc.
Decent can openers
Powdered drinks, pre-sweetened, Kool-Aid, Gatorade, etc.
Snacks, brownies,Lil Debbie, snack cakes, etc, nothing with icing that will melt.
Soups, chunky, chicken, beef, etc.
Tuna, canned and packs.
Antibacterial wipes - lots of these!
 Anti-fungal for their feet - athletes foot creme, foot powder - no aerosol
bottles.
 Band Aids, cough lozenges, small packs of Kleenex, shower-to-shower
powder.
 Combs, paper, pens, envelopes, lip balm, eye drops, q-tips, nail clippers.
Eye drops - the cleaning kind - because of all the sand storms...(Put in
plastic bag!)
Female necessities
Flip flops - shower shoes - so they can air their feet out when they get a
break. NO Flea Collars!!
Small containers of Tylenol, Motrin, etc.
Small tubes of toothpaste and toothbrushes, deodorant, soap, shampoo.
Sunscreen
Comics and paperback books, crossword puzzle books.
DVDs & CDs.
Game Boys, the ones your kids don't use anymore, and the games Magazines.
Sports stuff (baseballs, footballs, old gloves, frisbees...)
Batteries, alkaline - Mostly AA-size, but some AAA
Batteries, rechargeable, and chargers - Mostly AA-size, but some AAA also.
Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard, available here for 1/2 off sale.
DEET insect spray.
Disposable cameras.
 Electrical items; Transformers, dual voltage appliances, plug adapters,
etc
Fans. All kinds. Especially small, hand-held battery types. The kind with
sprayers are great.
Flashlights - small, black or dark green, AA battery. Headlights (small
flashlights worn on a helmit).
Maglite (flashlight) bulbs.
Music CD's. (Have a portable player you don't use anymore?)
Pens, paper, envelopes. (NO stamps! They get free mail.)
Phone Cards
Pillows,small or inflatable, self-inflating camping air mattress.
SpaceR "All Weather" blankets. (Find the ones with olive drab, tan or camo
on one side.)
SpaceR "Emergency" blankets. (These are much smaller, easy to keep.)
The Oxford Picture Dictionary: English/Arabic
or click on this link

http://www.anysoldier.us/WhatToSend.html

Money will be also needed to ship the package. For example, a 25 lb
package will cost around $70.00 to ship.

We will also want to include cards, pictures or letters with our package.
So, when you give, please also write at least a quick note to them. I would
also like to print out some pictures of us off of the net and pass them
around so we all can sign them. Does anyone have a good picture of our Baron
and Baroness that we can add to the mix?

 I have chosen to send our package to the 1st Cavalry Division in Iraq (one
of the contact names is a Cunningham *grins* ). We cannot choose a contact
until the day we send the package, so I will let you know our final contact
later.

Any questions, please call me at 214-485-1593 or 214-284-8855.

 Lets show them who we, Steppes,Ansteorra, are and how much we appreciate
them.