[Steppes] Gulf War site

AlKudsi@aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 21:43:22 PDT 2004

Yes, I had studied that the unofficial death count in the Galveston Hurricane
(they didn't name them back then) was supposed to have killed close to 10,000
people, but there was no way to make an accurate count.  The 5-6,000 number
comes from the recovered bodies.  I've been to the cemetary and historical
marker that commorates the occasion...it was also the instigation of the Galveston
sea wall by the Army Corp of Engineers, since most of the deaths were
attributable to the storm surge (estimated to be in the neighborhood of 30 ft high
most places, but higher in others).  When you are basically sea level, and some
places lower than sea level, that can really ruin your day.  After being
involved with Red Cross efforts through Senior Girl Scouts in storm shelters and
storm cleanup during the late 60's, I remember what a hurricane can do all too
well.

But, the point is, is that people who have lived for a while in hurrican
areas should know how to batten down the hatches and get the heck outta Dodge when
necessary (hurricane party stories regardless -- there are always idiots!).
If local SCA people go out to help in the cleanup if the Gulf War site takes
damage, and the damage is serious, I still feel that we ought to use it in
support of the people who make their livelihood from events like ours.

Saqra