[Steppes] OT - Carthusia Perfumes of Capri 1380

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 13:50:17 PDT 2004

>I have one period perfume recipe that supposedly belonged to an empress.  I
>made it using >essential oils, and it smells awful!!!!!!  LOL!  Of course,
>we must remember that during that time >period bathes were not all that
>frequent, so I'm sure the perfumes had to be strong to cover the >body
>odors.

Part of the research I have been doing involves distillation which is how
these essential oils were first concentrated in Egypt. The art of perfume
making is a very subtle art and any reproduction of a recipe from period
would have to take into account the relative strengths of the essential oils
used, the specific varieties of flower herb and spice used in their making,
very careful proportioning and then the proper method of use (whether
atomized or directly applied). I think Atomization of perfume is much later
in period, but I am unsure exactly when.

A good example of this is to go home and mix two different perfumes together
and see what it smells like. It will not be a combination of the two
perfumes, but something altogether different and most lilkely unpleasent as
the ingredients will react with each other chemically and with the
atmosphere which will almost invariably get into the mixture under such
conditions.

Borek