[Steppes] Telling someone that what they are doing is not period

Karen Calhoun kmcalhou at garlandisd.net
Wed Sep 13 06:06:17 PDT 2006

<snip> From Ester:

 " Instead of telling someone their designs are wrong, how about
saying, "Wow! I really like this design -- did you know that this bit
here comes out of a period tradition? Have you had a chance to look at /
run across this source? I'll bet you could knock that out of the ball
park.""

Here, Here!  As an artist, it is very difficult to receive criticism
because of the time, effort, aching fingers, sore shoulders, splinters
and so on.  I believe that Ester called it "passion".

Many times, when criticism is heard, the artist hears:  "You tried
really hard, but this is just bad."  When they should have heard: "You
tried really hard and it shows.  I like how you did this part.  I've
done something similar to this.  Can we get together some time and share
ideas?"

Be sensitive.  Many times, it feels like the effort is being
criticized, not the item.  Be sure to mix compliments with the
suggestions.  (You will note that I did not say criticism!)  Also, try
saving your suggestions for venues other than competitions.  At
competitions, tensions are high and your heart is laying on the table
for anyone to squash.  Try a conversation at populace or at a college.
Colleges are a great time to share ideas as one's mindset is open to
suggestions and learning.

As someone who who used to compete, I've been on the receiving end of
some hefty-evil comments.  Part of my choice to not compete is due to
the "vicious" comments that were made.  Perhaps one day I'll get over
that person and be able to shake it off.  But until then, I just listen
and know that the people I'm talking with are trying to make me better.

In Service,

Katya