[Steppes] New Commer

Valerie Kelley richila at swbell.net
Fri Sep 22 05:19:53 PDT 2006

Hi Emma,
  The best way that I know to get to know people is to get involved. I spent my first year volunteering, to serve feast, to waterbear, to learn how to run a list. Go to business and populace meeting to see what is needed. I also went to every guild meeting that I could, to meet people and to find out what I liked and what I didn't( I found that I liked everything, I am just better at some things than others) We have a Fall Court coming up in 2 weeks that is a local off calendar event-it will be an excellent time to get to know more people. There is dance class every week, bardic and pottery usually meet once a month. Elfsea Defender is tomorrow. Many hands make light work at any event and there is always a need for more. I met some of my dearest friends years ago volunteering together. Go for it! Also, I have found that age doesn't determine friendships as much in the SCA as in other places. Interests and the way you see the world seem to matter much more. A dear friend of
 mine is in her first year of college thisyear, although I graduated 20 years ago.
  Have fun getting to know us,
  Valeria
  Baroness Steppes

The Dane <erik.thedane at gmail.com> wrote:
  Hello, Heidi.
Though the last Steppes event I attended was Warlord XXX, I can tell you as
one who played there (many moon ago, albeit) that there are worse places to
be. The Steppes is big, but that means there are just that many more
oportunities to get to know people. Bardic and dancing? Lady, you hit the
jackpot! The Steppes is the home of the Babe Ruth of Bards, HE Robin of
Gilwell. Duke Miguel Sebastien DeOporto is also well-versed in the bardic
arts, so you've no shortage of resources.
It's a special place, indeed. Welcome!

As always I remain,
Ld. Erik the Carver
Squire to Mushir Abd al-Mahdi Jamal ibn Hakim,The Lion of Islam and all
around spiffy guy.

On 9/15/06, Heidi wrote:

> I am new to the Steppes. I moved from Denton to McKinney, and had been
> participating with the Canton of Glaslyn.
>
> Tweleth Night was my first event. I found the SCA on my own, so I came
> in knowing no one and very little. In Glaslyn they called me "Heidi the
> Brave" (Heidi's my mundane name, Emma Shirlock is my SCA name, 12 cent
> Norman). Everyone in Glaslyn was very nice, they helped me understand the
> 'basics', and SCA 101, they lent me feast gear and gave me a seat at their
> table. I enjoyed playing in Glaslyn because of how nice everyone was, but I
> began to feel left out. There are many reasons why I felt this way, it's a
> very small canton and I only met about 10 people, everyone there had been
> playing alot longer than me, and I was at an inbetween age.
> What I mean by "Inbetween" is that I'm a college student at UNT and I'm
> 21, there aren't many college students playing in Glaslyn, most people
> around my age were in highschool and children of other members. There
> weren't many who could relate to me for that reason. I can't say that I've
> no friends in Glaslyn, but at the same time I can say that I've no friends
> in Glaslyn because I couldn't connect with anyone.
> I'm really interested in bardic, pottery, and danceing but there was no
> real opportunity for that there.
> Coming to the Steppes is a new begining for me, and it's almost a last
> chance. I love going to events, making my clothes, getting swept away in the
> past, Gulf Wars was so much fun, but it was getting to the point that I
> wasn't having fun anymore because after being active in the SCA for 8 mnts I
> still don't know anyone.
> I'm hoping to change that by coming to the Steppes because of how big
> the barony is, and all the artistic opportunities that it offers. I know
> that I'll get the same warm welcome that I got in Glaslyn because that's the
> SCA style.
>
> It would be great if anyone could give me advice on just being new, I
> can take constructive criticism.
>
> Emma

sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -- Galileo
Galilei