[Steppes] Golden Key garb

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 07:55:53 PDT 2006

As one of the people that went through the route of loaner garb and then taught how to sew and to some extent did sew some of the things in my closet i think many suggestions here are good ones.

  I think having a sewing weekend is a great thing to do. One of the things the forge i make my stuff at does it this way. Might be something to consider.

  If you want an item you make 4 of them, you get pick of the items, the other 3 go to the forge for resale to cover materials and cost. Now I'm not saying that you would have to make 4 clothing items - this can be adjusted but a few things happen here:

  1: pride in making the item
  2: learning how to make the item
  3: more of the same item is made to cover the cost and/or to be used as loaner gear (in this case)

  Perhaps the extra items can be used to sell and money given back to the barony for special things like parties, covering event losses or covering costs to get to events or even costs to maintain the area the gear is kept at.  I realize this starts playing into legal for profit etc and i am no lawyer - merely a suggestion.

  It would seem to me that having a work day would also give a new comer the ability to meet some of the people in the sca so they know someone at events, more so perhaps making loaner gear an alike color or emblazon with something identifying them as new comers so all may see it and know to introduce themselves etc, this would also guard to some extent of having to charge a deposit - again a suggestion.

  The question then comes to what happens when garb is made and it starts piling up. What about an auction, proceeds go to the barony, again for costs and special events and things. Maybe using it to enrich prize baskets, prizes and pass down gear. Use it to maintain the royals chairs, commission artists to make things for the barony to enrich the look etc. Again, I'm not saying that it needs it - merely suggestion.

  Lastly i think this thread is on the right track, good to see the new comers at the forefront of topic as with out them we have no future. I will commit 20.00 to the fund. Please let me know where to send it to via uccrossbows at yahoo.com

  David/Ulrich

TinyGypsyLady <tinygypsylady at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hello All,

As a Newcomer to your Barony and the Kingdom, I figured I would pipe up now.

I have a few (what I hope are) salient points:

1. Please do not give us (Newcomers) clothing. For some of us who sew, we will WANT and NEED to make our own clothing to feel part of the group. So help us learn quickly! That isn't to say get rid of loaner garb. Do not.. but make it easy and basic. Then teach the Newcomers how to accessorize!

Offer a sew day with individuals who know how to make basic garb we can later layer or use for any event during any time of the year. And just to let you know, make it WEEKS before an event so the newbies have a chance to finish the garb!

Lady Kathryn taught myself and another her chemise design and now we each have several to choose from. And, as an aside, Cat is as new to the sewing machine as she is to the SCA. (smiling proudly!)

Also, Lady Kathryn has offered shopping trips for those who may not know what fabrics to use. Perhaps this is something to plan for on a bi-monthly basis or such. That way, not only do the Newcomers get the benefit of knowledge, others may have other "secrets" to share on fabric.

2. If we cannot sew, offer us a few choices:

Either offer to allow us a chance to try our hands at it, assuming if there are those who are willing to let us use their machines w/ them there to teach. Or give them other options. I realize we are supposed to be recreating history... but let's give some a break. There is ALWAYS stitch-witch or something else. Or, as someone pointed out, Peploses or Chitons. Also, keep in mind some hand stitching may not be terrible to some. Teach running stitches and such.

3. I think offering Newcomers fabric is a nice gesture but leads back to the Barony having to house extra fabric which takes up ROOM! As I am sure everyone who sews knows, it collects! While my real sewing expertise (maybe!) lays in "street clothes" I have so much fabric I need a whole wall of shelves!

There are a couple of designs we can use to teach Newcomers in order for them to have basic garb. I am sure we all have a couple of patterns that are very basic. And it would be cheaper to use brown paper to mock up patterns for new people to use at home.

Next... let's provide people with a list of things that would be the BEST to have and then a list of things that would be NICE to have. This would include more than just clothing.

Fabric - I have several pieces in linen and while they get wrinkly, they were cool as they are a fairly light weight material. Some of the cotton out there is such a tight weave it doesn't breath. Not to say don't suggest it. I would also say GAUZE! While it may not be Eurpoean period, it is light weight and breaths. I have a dress that is make from it and it is heavy enough that I don't know if many would realize it is guaze.

Ok... I think I am done. I will offer my support and skills to help sew for the barony.

Kathryn, I would say if we can either get people to donate types of fabric, trim, etc. that would be the best. I realize people do not always return garb (sad sigh). My suggestion would be this... ask them for a "deposit" of $5 or so when they borrow a piece. If we explain the reason for the "deposit", I am sure most will understand. Then, at the very least, if they do not return the piece, there is money to purchase more material.

LOL... now I am done.

Namaste,

Ana Maria de Albion (I hope)

Julie Cunningham wrote:
Everyone

In my year plus in office, I have heard that other kingdoms and baronies out there somewhere provide a newcomer with their first T-Tunic. I have questions for you.....

I like the idea, but do we simply just give it to them? Do we ask for any donation? If we do take a donation, how do we handle the money (does it go back to the hospitaler for fabric)? Or do we ask them to someday replace the item they were given? So what happens when we give out T- tunics and after one or two events we never see the newcomer again? Should this fabric money come out of baronial funds? If so, what is the budget per year? Should we have a fund raiser every year for fabric (Baronial garage sale) ? Do we have a day-long sewfest to make T-Tunics for the barony?

I would like to hear what you think.

Katheryn

YogaLady

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed." Bernard Edmonds