[Steppes] demos...worth the effort???

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 11:17:29 PDT 2007

I am one of those folks who did NOT find my way to the SCA via a demo. I DID discover both the SCA and Steppes through the internet. I am continually frustrated by dead links, old information and contact info and incomplete and not updated calendars on websites run by SCA groups. When I first became archery marshal for Steppes, I found at least 4 areas on the website that had to do with archery and all of them had old information that was outdated. I urge ALL officers of the barony to go through the website with a virtual fine-toothed comb and find out where there may be any references to their activities. Practices, Calendars, officer contacts, guild info, etc. look at every page and if you find anything related to you or your office, make sure it gets updated. Contact the virtual scribe with a detailed list of changes to be made, what pages they are on and what to correct. The virtual scribe can only make things as correct as the people are willing to have them. I know that I got an email recently from someone who was interested in youth archery. I forwarded the information to the appropriate contact, but apparently, some of the archery information hasn't gotten changed. I'm sure that there are other officers that have old info out there, too.

Same goes for the newsletter. I have been embarrassed by the lack of officer information that has been in the newsletter anymore. Everyone is busy, but when you take on an office, you take on all the responsibilities. That includes keeping the Populace notified of what is going on. That doesn't happen at business meetings,(there has been a dearth of officers at business meetings) and as we don't have much meeting stuff at Populace revels anymore, it doesn't happen there either. The Newsletter is the formal means of communication in the Barony...not the email list as we still have lots of folks who don't have regular internet access.

I used the Steppes website back in 2002 to make initial contact when i knew that I would probably be moving to Texas. Earlier that same year, i had found the SCA while surfing the web looking for Lord of the Rings related things. I got in touch with the local group through the SCA home page. The Shire of Dragon's Mist in An Tir was my first group....I found them through the internet, too. I belong to some non SCA related message boards that occasionally will have someone with a question or interest that might be steered to the SCA. I have researched groups for those individuals and given them contact information based on what I have found on the websites of their local groups. I honestly don't know if there have been any successful recruitments, but I know that most of the folks that I have given the info, have followed up on the contacts, at least.

My point is that Demos are nice, but our website is probably the most effective means of recruiting new members that we have. It is vital that we keep it updated and easy to navigate. Matt has done a good job with what he has available, but our officers simply have to do their part. If nothing is happening....come up with an article related to your office and activity or get your deputy or another interested participant to write something up. Just because you have nothing to report doesn't mean that you can leave your report out of the newsletter/website. Judging from the last newsletter, Steppes is on its deathbed, and we know that this is not true.

Last year, I believe, Master Modius did a report on demos that was very informative. I remember being somewhat surprised at some of the information in it. I know that he suggested that demos such as NTIF were largely a waste of time and effort. He had very compelling information, as I recall. I believe that Lady Constance and perhaps our Seneschal were at the event where that report was given, perhaps they can refresh our memories on that. I do know that in the almost five years that I have been in the Steppes, demo participation has dropped dramatically. I will admit to not participating in as many myself mostly because I have had a more intensive work schedule than I did when I went to virtually every demo we had. The last few that I participate in, however, were simply not fun. People that had committed to coming didn't. There was little to demo...nothing much to display, and the venues simply weren't really appropriate. I would rather do a demo at an elementary/middle school where we do provide education even if we don't get new members, rather then do a demo where we are just a bunch of strange people who dress funny and swing at each other with swords. We are first and foremost an educational group...not geeks.

Lyneya de Grey