[Steppes] Twelfth Night -- major decision in front of us.

shark shark75080 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 22 15:15:23 PDT 2007

I'm glad we are discussing this on the list too!

My thoughts similar to Duncan's. It doesn't seem to be a good idea to have the only armigerous award events for Steppes so close together on the calendar. We will wait a long time from Artisan to Warlord to have another opportunity to give out those types of awards. I think that could negatively impact the Barony and make rewarding and recognizing people more difficult than it needs to be.

As has been stated, the crown usually can't make Artisan. Also, combining Artisan with another event will diminish it, IMO. So to me, the option I would choose is to take Artisan off of the kingdom calendar, and put 12th Night on. We will still have a Steppes Artisan, and I don't think folks attend that because it is a Kingdom event (I could be wrong). My only worry about this option is if it would negatively impact participation in Steppes Artisan over time.

The downside of a regional 12th night might be the size and length of the Court. I hear people complaining about the length of court at 12th Night now. Regionalizing might make this issue worse (that's not an issue for me). Also, since Elfsea is gaining new baronial leadership, this issue might not be resolved for quite some time... I don't know that for sure, just guessing. One more thought, now we control 12th Night. Getting a wider ownership of this event might change it in ways we can't predict, in ways we might not like.

Due to the high attendance of 12th Night, this issue and it's resolution will have a pretty big impact on our barony. I'm glad we are trying to get all options addressed and evaluated before we make a final decision about what to do.

In service,
Susanne
Chronicler