[Steppes] "off-calendar" event

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Tue Apr 24 09:54:25 PDT 2007

Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:

>  I get the feeling that some people are using the phrase "off-calendar event" in a sense isn't equivalent to its actual meaning, and that;'s part of why we aren't communicating.
>
>  Before we get too far, let's remember what an "off-calendar event" is.  Technically, it's not an event.  It's the legal equivalent of a fighter practice or a guild meeting.

I would have to disagree with you on this.  Kingdom law classifies 3 classes of events "Society Events" within the kingdom: Kingdom Calendar Event, Multi-Group Calendar Event and Off-Calendar Event.

----
A Kingdom Calendar Event is a gathering sponsored by an officially
recognized branch of the kingdom that is listed in advance on the
official kingdom calendar of events. The date, time, and place of the
event must be published in advance in the Black Star, and one or more
warranted officers of the sponsoring group must be present and
responsible for the conduct of the event.

A Multi-Group Calendar Event is a gathering sponsored by two or
more officially recognized independent branches of the kingdom that
is listed in advance on the official kingdom calendar of events. The
date, time, and place of the event must be published in advance in the
Black Star, and one or more warranted officers of the sponsoring
group must be present and responsible for the conduct of the event.
The Kingdom Seneschal is responsible for awarding an event multi-
group status.

An Off-Calendar Event is a gathering sponsored by an officially
recognized branch of the kingdom that is not listed on the official
kingdom calendar of events, but is listed in advance in the local
newsletter of an officially recognized branch. The date, time, and place
of the event must be published in advance, and one or more warranted
officers of the sponsoring branch must be present and responsible for
the conduct of the event.
----

I may give you fighter practice meets this definition as it requires a warranted officer, waivers, etc.  But not guild meetings.

>  Let's remember, in this discussion, that an off-calendar event is not an event, just as an empty beer isn't a beer and a retired seneschal isn't a seneschal.

So you are saying that Fall Court is not an event?  Or Glaslyn's Artisan of the Flame?

Alasdair