[Steppes] Fabric shops

Chiara Francesca chiara.francesca at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 09:12:24 PST 2008

There are many many great shops in our metroplex!

Mistress Genvieve took me to what has got to be the most WONDERFUL fabric
store in the world! Fabrique http://www.fabriquefabrics.com/ It is a must
see!! They have bamboo linen! :D (let me know if you go there, I am sooo
there with you)

The button guy we were told that was on Inwood for the longest time has gone
private with his sales now unfortunately. But if you have a business, he is
open for you! I am sure I am horribly misspelling his name but it was Bubbo
I think. Someone else on the list will have the correct spelling. :)

There are three in my area of McKinney that just opened in the last few
months but I have yet gone over to check them out. As soon as I do I will
post about them too. :)

Here are a few more:
>From http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/stores.htm (Red Dawn's site, she is
absolutely the best resource on this kinda thing!)

Hancock Fabrics -- chain store fabrics, designer, quilting, craft and
interior decorating. They carry (IMO) better quality stuff than Cloth World.
It's certainly a different selection. 300 University Village (at Plano Road
and Beltline, probably the friendliest staff among chain stores in the
metroplex) Richardson, 972-235-2691; 234 Campbell Rd (at Nantucket and
Campbell, near UTD) 972-669-9791. There is a chocolate shop at the other end
of the Campbell Road location, where they make confections right on site,
and it's definitely worth a stop...they are "Open often, and closed
sometimes".

JoAnn's ETC. -- Large store behind the Collin Creek Mall. Fashion fabric,
quilting, crafts, upholstery and home dec as well as seasonal kitsch. Also
offers classes in basic serging, basic and intermediate sewing for adults
and children and quilting for both adults and children. Village at Collin
Creek, 700 Alma (intersection of Alma and Plano Parkway), Plano
(972)424-0011. M-Sa 9-9, Su 10-6. Also check out the new store at the
southeast corner of Preston and Forest.

Specialty Shops:
The Sewing Room -- like their name implies, a place to find all kinds of
sewing stuff. They appear to have a very wide selection of accessories, as
well as sewing machines, and a small selection of "hard to find" fabrics
like PolarFleece (tm). Classes for quilting, tailoring, and even a "summer
camp" for kids. New location at: 420 E. Round Grove Rd. #115,
Lewisville,(corner of MacArthur Blvd. and FM3040 Round Grove Road)
972-242-7296, .

Fabric Affair -- small, but with a variety of fabrics, both designer and
quilting. They have racks of books and patterns on various needle arts, lots
of thread and ribbon for embroidery, and machines for sale. Nearby Jason's
Deli is good for lunch, and Whole Foods Marketplace has a good selection of
"natural" food and health products. Marble Slab creamery has excellent ice
cream, too! 339 Dalrich Village (Coit and Beltline Roads) Richardson
972-234-1937

Kay Fabric center -- a large designer and specialty fabrics shop, about half
the store is bridal and special occasion materials, including veiling,
appliques, and other accessories. They have a large selection of silk, linen
and wool in stock year-round. They carry a variety of imported and unique
fabrics for fashion sewing and quilting. 518 West Arapaho, Richardson,
972-234-5111

Richard Brooks --special occasion and quality designer fashion fabrics. 6131
Luther Lane, (214)739-2772 (Preston center at the corner of Preston Road and
Northwest Highway)

Thanks to Michelle Howarth for this listing:
Fabrics Unlimited
I just found a "new" source for fabrics in Garland. The establishment is
called Fabrics Unlimited. They do mostly mail order and email sales. It
isn't a shop so to speak. They have some fabrics in stock and lots of
swatches to look at. They'll order fabric for you at FANTASTIC prices. They
have a little of everything. Lots of high quality cottons, linens, designer
apparel, "Liberty of London" types, combed kona, swiss batiste (only $10.25
a yd). They have gorgeous bright stretch terry. They also do laces, trims,
etc. I've been really impressed. I ordered drapery yardage that ended up
being backordered by the manufacturer. I still received it in less than 10
days. The number is (800)827-9389. Email at jcderr at airmail.net. They're
working on a web site. Pam and Trish Derr run the business. They're very
friendly and Pam knows fabric!!! Great for finding something different.

For Quilters
Old Craft Store -- quilting cottons and associated tools. They have high end
quilting fabric, including wools and flannels, a tendency toward the
reproduction lines and darker tones. They now carry solids. Recent
remodelling has replaced the old wooden floors with linoleum, and the
displays have been replaced or painted over, so they currently score zero on
atmosphere. The book and pattern selection appears to have increased slowly
over the last year. The area has several antique shops, two small
lunch-oriented cafes, and a stamp shop. Tanner Electronics is just under the
highway, for those of you with geek engineer interests. Old downtown
Carrollton, 1110 West Main (just south of Beltline Rd), Carrollton,
972-242-9111

Silver Threads(formerly Country Calico's)-- designer quilting fabrics and
accessories, notions, books and classes. A wide selection of designer
fabrics in traditional, reproduction, and contemporary styles. More fabric
crammed in here than most stores of it's size, and a good place to find
books. Also the place to get info on the Plano Quilt Guild. 701 E. Plano
Pkwy, #110, Plano (972)423-2499

Suzy's -- quilting supplies, gifts, and the usual assortment of patterns,
templates, and widgets, with a good mix of books and magazines. The fabric
tends to be mostly traditional prints, with a heavy dose of reproduction
cottons mixed in. The staff was really friendly the day I visited. Look for
Bell's Bernina a few doors down. 111 N. 6th St. Garland, TX 75040
(972)272-8180.

Quiltmakers --has a bright selection of new, designer prints, as well as the
latest in books, patterns and notions. Lots of old quilts and new tops
displayed on the walls make it cheerful and inspiring. They offer a number
of varied of classes for beginners and advanced quilters, as well as
children. Weekly and monthly specials, and guild member discounts. (But I
still think their prices are the highest in town) 9658 Plano Rd. (at
Kingsley) in Dallas. (214)343-1440. M-F 10-5.

Abram House Quilt Shop-- 1210 West Abram Street in Arlington. 817-277-4749.
I'm told they stock a Civil War collection, 1930's reproduction prints, the
Shelborne collection, and more.

Joy's Fabrics offers a listing of quilt shows in the area...

Import Shops
Bombay Sari Palace -- one of several Indian fabric and clothing
establishments in the immediate area. 113 Central Expressway (at
Beltline/Main St.) Richardson (972)437-2465.

Sari Sagar -- This one has a large selection of sari fabric and clothing, as
well as other Indian imports. If you have the time to look you will find
smaller stores within a couple of blocks. Kebab-N-Kurry is just a couple of
blocks up the highway access road, and as good as Indian food gets. 101
Central Expressway (just north of Beltline/Main St.)

Krishna Sarees -- a large selection of sari fabrics (for such a small store,
too!), Indian clothing, and other imports, including 220v appliances. Open
11-8 daily. On Inge Drive, just off Beltline (behind the brake shop) near
Central Expressway. (If you're in the mood for a snack, India Grocers,
around the corner on Beltline in the shopping strip, has pretty good samosas
--spiced potato dumplings-- and other authentic, homemade Indian treats for
sale at their front counter. Yummy!)

Outlets:
There are several distributors on Perth Street, off Harry Hines Avenue.
Harry Hines is the kind of place you can get an extremely used car, unique
ethnic food, or an "exotic tan." There are four or five distributors
clustered on Perth St. that open to the public on Saturday mornings from
about 8 to noon. One or two are open until 1pm. I have been told that most
of them are also open regular hours during the week, and if you have the
time, might be considerably less crowded then. I never know what they're
going to have, but prices start at $1 a yard and go up. It's a good place to
go if you buy compulsively because "this is neat fabric". You'll find
everything from poly knits to purple silk. Some of the places have designer
fabrics. One has a wall of craft cottons. Several have trim, buttons, lace,
collars, etc. and the occasional designer knockoff rack of suits and
dresses. Perth Street is a dead end on the west side of Harry Hines, a
little south of Walnut Hill Avenue.

Also look for:

Best Fabric Outlet, 10901 Harry Hines Blvd. M-S 9-4. Cash and carry.
S&J Designer Fabric Outlet, 7777 Hines Place. (214)637-4333 M-F10-5, Sat.
10-4:30.
If you keep going south within a mile or so you will see Golden D'Or Fabrics
also on the right. They carry a lot of flat fold mystery fabric for cheap,
but if you know what you are looking for and can tell silk from polyester
just by feeling it, this is a good place to look. 10795 Harry Hines (between
Walnut Hill and Lombardy streets) M-S 9-4:30. (214)351-6651.

Miracle Fabrics-- a distributor with a showroom that looks like a "regular"
store. Designer fabrics and trims, occasionally patterns. They include
quilting cottons, and this is one of the places I check for out-of-print
fabrics. They also get in some exotic stuff once in a while, Indian cottons,
for example. If you like real bargains and can pick fabric by touch, the
$.79 a yard table is for you. The store help here has been really rude to me
on several occasions, so much so I wonder how these people keep their jobs.
At the intersection of highways 12 and 356, in Irving. I think they close on
Monday, and they're only open until 5pm the rest of the week. 1720 E Hwy
356, Irving, 214-579-7451.

Kim has visited more recently than me and writes: " Miracle Fabrics is a
wonderful fabric store and I would not have known about it without your
site. I only disagree that the ladies are rude. I have been in there several
times and have found each visit to be pleasant. " Hopefully Kim has
discovered a new trend in customer service there.

Thomas Fabric Outlet --fashion fabrics, designer prints, patterns, sewing
machines. 1515 Town East Blvd. (across from the mall) Outside of 635/LBJ on
the far east side of Dallas. (972)681-3996.

Upholstery, Drapery, Interior Design
Charles Curtain Co. --drapery and interior decorating showroom, with fabric
available for customization or DIY. 1352 Crampton (off Irving Blvd. between
Wycliff & Motor) (214)630-7967. M-F 8-3:30, Sat. 9:30-12.

Cutting Corners --an upholstery and drapery shop, with a huge showroom and
respectable prices on materials. Good for tapestries, velvets, and interior
decorating bargains. 13720 Midway Road, Farmer's Branch, 972-233-1741. Other
locations throughout the cities.

The Fabric Source, 2385 Midway Rd. , Carrollton, Texas, just across from
Addison Airport. (972) 267-3400. Irene tells me "They have expanded and
carry a wonderful selection of FIRST QUALITY, fabrics direct from the mills.
Also an extensive trim department that includes beads and feathers, great
for pillows and lampshades, which is very popular now in this area."

Custom Upholstery Mart--outlet source for drapery and upholstery fabrics,
large showroom, leather and ultra suede. Also have a pillow-making section
with forms and trims, etc. Will do mail-order. 1910 Good Latimer.
(214)821-4444; (214)565-0900.

J&D Inc. --upholstery, interior decorating, and furniture. Includes drapery
and accessories, etc. 2015 N. Main St, Ft. Worth, (817)626-2365. M-F 8-6;
Sat. 9-4.

>From Kenny:

"I work at Southwest Auto Textiles, Inc. in Dallas at 514 S. Hall St. I
noticed your website offers information to people looking for fabrics. We
would be honored to offer our products and services to any of your
associates. We are mainstream automotive goods, but also carry many marine
and contract vinyls and we even have a line of FAA approved vinyl. All types
of sundries are also sold here. Please feel free to drop by any time and
"scope out" our operation. Our phone numbers are 214-742-7928, 800-522-7928,
and fax 214-742-1912. Thank you, -Kenny"

Glenda sent me this listing:

" May I suggest Sunbelt Fabrics, Inc. located at 2506 Louise Ave. Dallas.
Their Phones # are 214-421-9882 or 1800-322-8004. They carry a complete line
of Upholstery fabrics, geared more for auto, boat and motor home. They also
have the larger snaps, rivets, zippers and cone thread, to do these big
jobs. I have used them several times both for personal use and in my
business, when a Very good client need her travel trailer reupholstery.
Prices are for below anything I could find anywhere."

Andre wrote to tell me more about Sunbelt Fabrics:

"You might want to make a note about Sunbelt Fabrics. They will ONLY deal
with bonafide upholstery shops and companies. They practically threw me out
the door when I inquired about marine vinyl. 'WE ONLY SELL TO DISTRIBUTORS
AND REPAIR SHOPS!!!!!' "

Sara sends these locations:

"More places have upholstery fabric such as Fabrics & Frames, 5322 Alpha
Rd., Dallas; Childress's, 2512 Ferris St., Dallas; Calico Corners, 1900
Preston Rd., Suite 273, Plano and 12370 Inwood, Dallas; and a store on
Forest and Central in the SW corner (can't remember the name)...I haven't
ordered from any of them yet."

>From Donna:

" If you are looking for designer upholstery or pillow fabric with all kinds
of really neat fringe and beads and things I found a place called the Fabric
Factory, 12330 Inwood Rd, Dallas 75244 ph# 972-720-1400. Jessica helped me
and she was great. Very friendly. Bolts and bolts of fabric. Cool place!"

Other Recommendations for Quilters:
On Midway, south of 635, in the first shopping center, is Bernina Sewing
center of Dallas. They have fabrics and offer some wonderful classes. Their
sister store is in Plano, north of Dallas, on Ave. K just south of Park
street. They just moved into a new space and now have more room for fabrics
and 2 larger classrooms. The store in Plano also caters to the smocking
enthusiast but both have the latest in new fabrics that you won't find in
your large chain stores. 214-247-5103

Sharon's Quilt Depot in McKinney is now closed. :(

The store with the unusual fabrics (and some are outdated) is located about
7 miles north of Bonham on Hiway 78. It is directly across from a rodeo
arena. It's called Nell's Fabrics but I can't remember if there is a sign
out front other than the one that says OPEN ( which is out all the time!)
There is a white frame house on the south side of it and a older brick home
north of it. Her # is 903-583-2059. Don't loose this # because it's not
listed in a phone book under her store name. Always call if you're coming
from out of town to make sure she'll be there, although, she's rarely gone.
She doesn't have many Woolf prints but she usually has something from him.
There is a salesman that comes by periodically to sell to her. She's a sweet
woman. If you make it there, be sure to look high and low to see it all!

Another small shop is east of Bonham about 10 miles in a small community
called Windom. She doesn't have a big inventory but does get some of the
newer fabrics and always has good prices. It's located on Hiway 56, in
downtown Windom and sits several yards to the east of the main block (only
block). It's called Rainbow Fabrics, #903- 623-4191. They close at 4:30 each
day. Closed Sunday. If you make it up there on a weekday, plan to each lunch
at Oliver's grocery, in the main block. They have good homemade lunches and
hamburgers, and the best-ever home- made pies! Down the street in an old
bank building is a small gift shop with lots of neat things. Don't know the
name or # or hours, but I'm sure someone at the fabric store could help you
out.

Crafts, Services and Accessories
Electric Quilters --these folks not only do industrial machine quilting for
the public, but sell the machines as well. Services include machine basting,
all-over quilting, custom quilting to your specs, and binding of your quilt,
your grandmother's quilt top, or fabric you want made into a designer-type
spread. They are set up to do photo transfers onto muslin and will help you
produce a memory quilt with your pictures. They carry a minimal amount of
fabric, mostly for backings. Linda's Electric Quilters has now moved to
Melissa 10 minutes north of McKinney on Hwy 75. Address is 4964 Hwy 75 and
Phone # is 972-562-6330.

Carl's Sew Creative --sewing machines, accessories, thread, etc. and a good
selection of books. They offer classes and service on machines not bought at
the store, and have some of the friendliest staff I have encountered in any
shop --but I have heard some extremely negative things from other people, so
be warned. 2929 Custer Road, #107 (at the intersection of Parker, in the SW
corner shopping plaza), Plano, 972-596-5628.

The Rock Barrell --a wonderful selection of shells and rocks for both the
jewellery maker and the collector, precious and semi-precious stones and
beads (as well as glass and plastic), assorted metal charms, danglies and
trinkets, belt buckles, African and Oriental masks, and more. They also sell
books, tools, and equipment for collectors and do-it-yourself types. 13650
Floyd Rd. (at Sherman, east of 75), Suite 104, Dallas, 972-231-4809.

Chiara Francesca