[Steppes] Final All-CON announcements

AlKudsi at aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 21:28:42 PST 2008

OK, the weather messed up MY life today, but I hope everyone else is well and
warm, and ready to have a good time at the convention. The weather forecast
looks pretty ideal once we get past tomorrow morning. There have been some
updates and changes to the convention information, so please, read this carefully.

Due to issues last year, the convention has instituted a live weapons policy.
It is on their website, but boils down to NO missile weapons at all (i.e.
bows, crossbows, trebuchets, etc.) and all live steel must be peace-tied. The
preference is to leave it at home. Even vendors are not being allowed to bring it
in to sell, is my understanding. The little trebuchets used at 12th Night for
the marshmallow fights are probably passable, but I'd prefer not to risk it.
Our swashers are obviously getting a waiver on their weapons, but it should be
obvious that they are secured when you are NOT in the fighting demo room. If
you are not in the fighting demo room, please leave them at the booth the rest
of the time.

Her Grace Valeria has had to cancel due to a death in His Grace Mahdi's
family. They are currently on their way down to Houston for the funeral. Therefore,
I need a replacement for a Saturday 6-7 p.m. demo and a volunteer for the
10-11 a.m. demo still. I have one possible replacement (thank you Emma!) but that
still leaves me one demo teacher short.

IF YOU REALLY MUST HAVE A PASS DUE TO PRESSING NEED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP!
We now have more than 40 volunteers, and not near that many passes.

Vendor room schedule:
Friday: the dealer room opens at 8 a.m., but I will not be able to be there
until noon, and I will have all the passes. Once we get the booth organized, I
will be stationing either myself or HL Suzanna at the main door with a list of
those who get passes.  The room opens at 3 for the convention-goers, and is
open until 10 p.m. which means our booth must be manned during that time.

Saturday: dealer room opens at 9 for setup and vendors, doors open to the
convention at 11 a.m. and close at 6 p.m. which means our booth must be manned
during that time.

Sunday: dealer room opens at 9 for setup and vendors, doors open to the
convention at 11 a.m. and close at 4 p.m. which means our booth must be manned
during that time. Teardown is immediately after the doors close.

Demo schedule:
Friday:
6 p.m. - 7 p.m. -- Dogwood Room: Honorable Lady Saqra on Life in the Current
Middle Ages, or SCA 101
7 p.m. - 2 a.m. -- Trinity II: Fighting demo; pickup fights and casual
demonstrations. We don't need someone there until 2, but we do need some demos for
at least an hour or two...

Saturday:
10 a.m. - 11 a.m. -- Dogwood Room: demo (open)
11 a.m. - 4 p.m -- Chinaberry Room: HRM Aaron and our fighters will be
staging a mini-tourney with (I hope) a little opening "court" and closing "court".
2 p.m. - 3 p.m. -- Maple Room: Her Grace Willow de Wisp on Bardcraft and It's
Place in Custom and Society during the Middle Ages
6 p.m. - 7 p.m. -- Dogwood Room: demo (open)

Sunday:
10 a.m - noon -- Chinaberry Room: fighting demo
1 p.m. - 2 p.m. -- Trinity Stage: Fashion Show through the Ages

I want to thank everyone who has volunteered to come spend time at this demo.
I've been overwhelmed by the response, especially by the number who are
delaying their trip to Gulf Wars to participate. And I wish to thank the many
people in the Barony, including Her Excellency, Lady Elizabeth, our seneschal, and
several others who brought information to pass out and things to display to
the Business Meeting.

I do have one further request for Saturday in particular: His Majesty has
requested snacks for the fighting demo. He loves Dr. Pepper and HATES onions. If
you have a special treat you'd like to bring, I'd truly appreciate it! Fruit,
cheese, and crackers/bread in particular, would be very welcome.

I'm sure I'm forgetting SOMETHING. I usually do (thanks again, Elizabeth for
retrieving and returning what I forgot at Business Meeting!).

Further questions, or to RSVP for passes, please use email by noon on Friday,
if you plan to be there Friday, and Friday night if you plan to be there
Saturday or Sunday. For EMERGENCIES ONLY, my cell number is 972-369-3110. This is
a pay-as-you-go plan, so please, use sparingly!

My heartfelt thanks to everyone!

HL Saqra al-Kudsi
SCA demo coordinator for All-CON