[Steppes] heraldry question

John B anastim at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 10:08:30 PST 2009

Greetings,
I am the new herald to the Steppes, and while I may not be able to answer all of your questions right away, I do have a wealth of material to draw upon.  Feel free to email specific questions to me at steppesherald at gmail.com.
For general blazoning I have a few tips:
1.  Make it meaningful to you, you can always change it later, but the process of submissions takes up to a year for final approval.
2.  Keep it relatively simple, espcially if you wish to sew/draw your device on clothing, banners, etc.  Remember, the purpose of the device was to identify individuals on the field of battle.
3.  The more charges, the fewer colors and vice versa.  This also applies to layers on the shield.
4.  Obey the tincture rules (generally, no metal on metal or color on color) to provide the greatest visual contrast possible.  2 color fields are generally fine, as long as they are very different (e.g., per fess azure and gules...this would be the shield divided horizontally in the middle with blue on top and red on the bottom...this is a good example of a two color field with good contrast, bad contrasts might be blue and purple side by side or green and red side by side).
5. Don't worry about the language.  When you find something you like, show me (or another herald) and get their advice for the blazon when you fill out the form.
6. Don't worry about conflict checking right away.  Again, a herald can help you with this later.

Remember these are general rules and may not fit every case.  It is also worth noting that while the SCA tries to maintain a certain discipline in our heraldry, there are historical exceptions to almost every rule.  Finally, the most important rule of all: Have fun with it!

Other heralds: If I have anything wrong here, please correct me (don't beat me), I'm new :-)
Regards,
Giovanni