[Steppes] Steppes Sunday Fighter Practice

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 2 19:13:13 PST 2010

I dont think that anyone is trying to cancel any of the practices, however not all of them need to be official practices. Only the official one is in need of the knight marshal or his deputy, and requires waivers, etc. If the knight marshal feels that a different locale or time/day of the week would be better for attracting new people, or would be easier for him/her to attend, then changing the locale is a viable option.

Right now, I am aware of several unofficial practices that occur on regular or semi-regular practices. It would be impossible for the knight marshal to get to all of them and have the loaner gear available at all of them and I know that some don't want to have any sort of official anything involved in their practices for a variety of reasons. There has been some interest within the barony by other groups or activities to find another location where we can combine activities. Mary Head Carter park is convenient for some, but it is not conducive for the sort of thing we had at Flagpole Hill as there is little or no shade and parking is (or at least it has been when I've been there) a nightmare, not to mention the fire ants.

Combining the Rapier and Heavy practices at Tietze would be a step in that direction, however if there are other options, that would be nice. Our Barony is quite spread out and it would be nice to find a location where it would be central to the Barony. I know of some folks in the southern parts of the Barony who would give more consideration to fighting if it would be easier to get to. Yes I know that we tend to be a bit heavy with people dwelling in the Northern areas, but what's wrong with everyone driving about the same distance? As one of the members who has to drive one of the longest distances to almost everything except Canton, I can appreciate the transportation issue and am willing to drive a bit more if it means that someone else will participate more. I'm all for more bodies!

Just my two cents.

Lyneya

Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich