[Steppes] {HERALDRY} Help with emblazoning

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Fri Jun 11 06:01:34 PDT 2010

Randy Shipp <randyshipp at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm using Inkscape to combine vector graphics I've found online;

I use both programs and either can be used for these purposes.  I will be happy to assist where I can, though I do not guarantee I am the best at either :-D

>  Also, if you want to see what I have so far, I'll send you the SVG in
>  e-mail.

Please do.  It is always good to see somethign, even if it is an in-progress kind of thing.

>  The idea we're playing with is something like, "Argent, three greyhounds
>  courant in pale sable, on a bordure engrailed or fimbriated gules eight
>  fleurs-de-lys in orle azure."

Well let me help out a tad here.  You can't fimbriate a bordure.  (Or a chief if you are interested)  The earliest specific precedent I can find for this is the following though it has been upheld since then several times.

The "voiding" or "fimbriating" of a bordure is not permitted. (LoAR 29 May 88, p. 18)

Also the Rules for Submission state in Part VIII.3 Armorial Identifiability "Voiding and fimbriation may only be used with simple geometric charges placed in the center of the design."

>  I'm struggling with depicting the engrailed
>  bordure.  So, any Inkscape / vector editing help would be welcome, as would
>  any comments on the blazon.

Comments on the blazon or emblazon? :-D  For the blazon I would say Capitalize Or and drop the "in orle".  Any other comments on that I would need to see the blazon.

For the emblazon I would caution you that simpler usually is better.  Your current depiction (ignoring the unregisterability of the fimbriated bordure) is a fairly complex design.  Often that is indicative of non-period style.  While I will grant it does not exceed the rule of thumb complexity count of 8 (types of charges + # of tinctures) you are smack up against it.  I count 8 exactly. (5 tinctures and 3 charges).

Cheers,
Alasdair