[Steppes] {HERALDRY} Help with emblazoning

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Fri Jun 11 10:25:27 PDT 2010

Kihe Blackeagle <kihebard at hotmail.com> wrote:
>  > > The idea we're playing with is something like, "Argent, three greyhounds
>  > > courant in pale sable, on a bordure engrailed or fimbriated gules eight
>  > > fleurs-de-lys in orle azure."
>
>  To avoid the can't-fimbriate-a-border, consider the following blazon (bad Alasdair, no biscuit:
>  blazon is the language, emblazon is the picture...):

Yep, you are right.  No excuse, but it was early and I mistyped.  I did get it correct in the next paragraph though.

>  Gules, on a bordure engrailed Or eight fleur-de-lys azure and on an escutcheon argent three greyhounds
>  courant in pale sable.

Can't have a single  charge escutcheon.  RfS Part XI.4. Arms of Pretense and Augmentations of Honor

"Period and modern heraldic practice asserts a claim to land or property by surmounting an individuals usual armory with a display of armory associated with that claim. Such arms of pretense are placed on an escutcheon. Similarly, an augmentation of honor often, though not necessarily, takes the form of an independent coat placed on an escutcheon or canton. Generally, therefore, a canton or a single escutcheon may only be used if it is both uncharged and of a single tincture."

>  Greyhounds demote to tertiaries - and this variant may run afoul of rulings involving charged escutcheons as a form of marshalling of arms....

Yep.  See above. :-D

Alasdair