WR - Marriage

knotwork at juno.com knotwork at juno.com
Sun Nov 8 15:42:36 PST 1998

To the Honorable Lord Samuel Carrillo for James Greybeard, Greetings!

It pleases me well to work with you in negotiating the terms of marriage
for Rosina and James.  I am pleased that he has already thought of some
considerations for this fine lady.  He may, indeed prove to be a worthy
match.

We, unlike some uncivilized cultures, place a value on our daughters as
well as our sons.  When a girl marries, her family loses the benefit of
her companionship as well as her skills and abilities.  Is it not fair to
request a substantial remuneration, then, from the beneficiary of the
excellent training she has received?

Rosina possesses great skill at cooking and sewing.  She has great tracts
of land which will be available for James' exclusive use, but which, for
obvious reasons, must remain her own.  There are other material
considerations that Rosina may bring into her marriage, but the exchange
must be fair and equitable to both families.

I await your response and trust that you now understand the need  for
James to prove himself worthy of Rosina's troth.

HL Joanna Montgomery