No subject

James Anderson knightly1 at mail.com
Tue May 23 05:08:35 PDT 2000

The following is a work of fiction.  Any complimentary references to persons
real or fictitious are of course intentional, all other interpretations are
clear signs that you are paranoid. Permission granted to redistribute, so
long as credit is given.

this was sent to a list I'm on and I feel like we all needed to read it so
here you go

Achilles

Finding the Dream
by Colin of Tighan

One fine Saturday morning, MiLord woke up and realized he was missing
something, something very important to him.  Saddened, he suited up in his
armor and went out to be inspected.

Sir Knight walked up to him and said, "Good Morrow, MiLord!  How fare you
this day?"

MiLord was dejected. "Sir Knight, I've lost The Dream."

Sir Knight nodded sagely, having seen this before.  "Indeed?  Well, try a
few
bouts with my new squire.  He needs a few pointers, and I think a few good
fights will take your mind off it." And so it was that for a time MiLord
worked with Sir Knight and his squire, and each gave the other something new
and useful.  When it was done, however, MiLord's feelings of loss returned
him.  Lost in his thoughts, he wandered the camp until he came across
Mistress Laurel.

"Poor lad!  Such a long face you bear!  Whatever can be wrong?"  MiLord told
his tale, and Mistress Laurel clucked sympathetically. "Perhaps a new song
will lighten your heart!  And you can help me with this tunic I am making
for
a new person in our group."  They sang and made merry, even when he had to
hold still while she used him as a model for the tunic, and for a time his
search was forgotten.  When 'twas done, however, his mind returned once more
to his problems.  Seeing this, Mistress Laurel laid a hand on his arm and
said, "Perhaps Master Pelican can help you find what you seek."  And so he
did seek out that worthy.

Master Pelican listened gravely to MiLord's question.  "Where to find the
Dream?  Oh, my.  Well, now, I believe I saw it at Pennsic, could you have
lost it there?  Or perhaps it was at dance practice, I know I saw you with
it
then.  Oh forsooth, MiLord, I grieve that you have lost the Dream!" MiLord
nodded soberly, for by now all his joy had fled.  Master Pelican spoke on.
"MiLord, I tell you, I think it can be found...but for now, I see someone
who
needs your Service. Why not ask her?"  Master Pelican smiled, and gestured
toward a tear-streaked Little Girl who stood helplessly watching them both.

This was not where MiLord expected to find the Dream, but a damsel in
distress still deserved his help.  He knelt before her and said, "Little
Girl, I have lost the Dream.  Have you seen it?"  Little Girl looked up at
him and sniffed back a tear.

"I've lost my Mommy."

MiLord saw that his plight was as nothing compared to hers, and with a
flourish he swore a great oath that he would not rest until Little Girl was
reunited with Mommy.  Delighted, Little Girl forgot her tears, and together
they sojourned forth in quest of her, and soon enough they found her,
likewise distressed at the loss of Little Girl.  Bowing, he placed Little
Girl in Mommy's arms, and turned to go.  Before he took two steps, Little
Girl's voice stopped him.

"You oughta ask the King where your Dream is.  He knows *everything*."

MiLord considered this, and turned his steps toward the King.  Soon he knelt
before the Throne, and having given proper obeisance, asked, "My Liege--I
have lost the Dream! What am I to do?"

The King smiled down at MiLord, and said, "Have you now?  Look behind you."

MiLord turned, and behind him stood New Person.  New Person was wearing that
same tunic he had patiently been the model for.  In his hand was a copy of
the song that he had sung.  His expression was bright, but a little
uncertain.

"MiLord...MiLord, I don't know what to say.  I watched you fight with
Chivalry and Honor, and tried to learn from what you showed that squire. I
want to be like that, too!  I loved the song, and I thank you so much for
the
tunic!  Master Pelican told me how much you have done for everyone, and that
Little Girl...you treated that Little Girl like a great Lady.  I wept to see
it.  Please, MiLord, how can I be like you?"

MiLord was shocked.  Was this, then, the Dream?  Was it right here, all
along?  How could he have missed it? He heard the King's voice, soft and
wise.

"Do you see now, MiLord?  The Dream is not something you have.

"It is something you *do*."

In Service to the Dream,
Colin of Tighan