[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's files for December

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 4 20:12:22 PST 2002

Greetings and a Happy Yule Season to All!

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for December describing what
is new in the Florilegium this month.

There is a lot of interesting, good information being passed around
on the multitude of SCA oriented mail lists that are out there now.
Unfortunately, the number of these lists has grown so large that no
one person can read all of them. It seems a shame to have much of
this useful information be seen by only a few people or have the
same questions get asked and answered over and over. If you are on
a public list and an article or good series of messages comes
across it that you think others in the SCA community would find
interesting, please consider sending it to me for possible inclusion
in the Florilegium. Unless requested not to, I will give credit to
the folks who take the time to do this. And, as always, I strive
to make sure the original author gets credit for their work.

Stefan

------------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past thirteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting
bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and
articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this
information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

A copy of my complete filelist is available in most sections of the
website. This filelist or any of my files is also available from me
by email in either Word or text formats.

If you find a bad link or other problem with the Florilegium website,
please let me know. Once I know about a problem I can usually fix it
that day but if no one alerts me to a problem it may be months before
I notice it myself.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

     THLord Stefan li Rous   (512)892-0036    stefan at florilegium.org
     Ansteorra                             mark.s.harris at motorola.com

The new files for this month are:
under ANIMALS:
    The-Sheep-art      "The Sheep That Changed the Face of Art and
                          History" by Blacksheep.
under ARCHERY:
    Arrow-Inspect-art  "Combat Arrow and Bolt Inspection
                          Guidelines" by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf.
under CHIVALRY:
    K-Ord-o-Spain-art  "Knightly Orders of Spain" by Marijah.
under COMBAT:
    The-Joust-art      "The Joust" by Marijah.
under COMMERCE:
    Eng-Wts-Meas-art   "English Weights and Measures" by Lord Anton
                          de Stoc. Excerpts from a period document.
under CRAFTS:
    Bg-P-Wodwrkng-art  "Beginning Period Woodworking"
                          by Master Tamlene ap Guidgen, O.L.
under EDUCATION:
    Ital-Phrases-art   "Useful Italian phrases from Florio"
                          by Lord Anton de Stoc.
under FEASTS:
    15C-Italn-fst-art   Meridian Kingdom A&S Fair feast by Fra
                           Niccolo Difrancesco. 15C Italian.
    Andalusan-Fst-art   An Andalusian summer banquet
                           by Giles de Laval.
under FOOD:
    bag-cooking-msg     Using plastic bags to warm pre-cooked foods
                           at SCA events.
under FOOD-MEATS:
    Ital-Stuffing-art   "Stuffing Recipes from 16th Century Italian
                           Cookbooks" by Lady Helewyse de Birkestad.
under PLANTS, HERBS ABD SPICES:
    Basic-Herbs-art     "Basic List of Herbs"
                           by HL Suzanna the herbalist.
under UNCATALOGUED:
    Medievl-Kites-bib   "Medieval Kite Bibliography"
                           by Archer MacRobert.

Since the Yule season is coming up shortly, here are a few of the files
which might prove useful during this time:
    Christmas-art       Medieval Christmas.
    gingerbread-msg     Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
    Jewsh-Holiday-art   "Jewish Holiday Traditions of the Sephardic
                        Peoples" by Lady Sindara Lind Rachael.
    puddings-msg        Medieval puddings. Recipes. Custards.
    Sugarplums-art      "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                           Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
    T-H-Dreidel-art     "The Hannukah Dreidel" by Lady Meliora
                           Leuedai de Ardescote.
    wassail-msg         Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.
    Xmas-art            "The True Meaning of Xmas".
    Yule-msg            Yule celebrations.
---
Copyright 2002, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com