[Ansteorra-announce] EVENT: Gate's Edge 'Cour d'Amour', 11/22 - 11/24

Kelly Rhodes corsair at concentric.net
Wed Nov 20 23:43:45 PST 2002

The Canton of Gate's Edge presents
Cour d'Amour (Court of Love)
November 22 - 24, 2002
Camp Camwood (near Magnolia, Texas)
http://gatesedge.ansteorra.org/files/cour.htm

France, 1173. On a brilliant autumn day, the Queen of Love and her Ladies'
Gallery hold court to pass judgment and give instruction on the subjects of
courtesy and courtly love. For the pleasure of the Ladies and the populace,
competitors in the Pas d' Armes make a bold display. Troubadors softly sing
of love, or tell stirring tales of heroic deeds. Chivalrous behavior is
rewarded by watchful members of the populace. Honor and romance are the
order of the day.

The Canton of Gate's Edge will choose Champions of:
Heavy Armoured (aka Chivalric) Combat
Archery
Equestrian
Thrown Weapons
Bardic
Children

The winners will gain the acclaim of the populace of Gate's Edge, honor and
glory, pass-down banners, and nifty prizes!

The CHIVALRIC tourney will be a modified Pas d'Armes in a double elimination
format. The Ladies' Gallery will choose pairings and styles--an honor tree
will be available, so bring your own honor shield or use one provided for
you. All participants MUST be sponsored by a consort, for whose honor you
will fight. Participants MUST submit a Letter of Sponsorship including the
fighter's name and his/her consort, and the consort's titles and
accomplishments. Letters should be submitted to our Queen of Love, Her
Excellency Ellisena de Bayonne at sjurgens at swbell.net. Letters may also be
submitted at the event. (Also, you may email them to me, Lady Evelun, and
I'll pass them along.)

The Ladies' Gallery is open to all ladies (or lords!) who wish to watch
their champions fight in the lists. The Gallery will be keeping a watchful
eye on the fighters, as chivalrous behavior on the field (and off) is of
great importance!

As in any Pas d'Armes, a good show is important! Please be prepared to
process in and be presented to the Ladies' Gallery--participants will be
processed in in the order of consorts' precedence. A herald and an entourage
are Very Good Things to have for this! There will be some heralds on site
who *may* be amenable to bribes and payments of trinkets, if you need a
herald for the procession.

***Among the prizes for the Chivalric tourney is a Starfire broadsword!***

ARCHERY competitors are in for a real treat...a 'hunt'! Lord Carluccio di
Baia has put together a challenging contest, involving animal targets at an
unknown distance. Also occurring on this glorious day is a shoot for the
merriment of the populace. This shoot will be of the William Tell theme. If
you believe that you can remove the apple from the child's head without
causing harm, then please join us. The children have not been forgotten on
this splendid day. Following the archery tournament, a range will be
provided for the smalls to shoot for amusement, and royal round scores. For
adults, there will be time to shoot and record scores in the afternoon as
well.

***Among the prizes for the victorious archer is a custom Baron, Briton, or
Yeoman longbow from Baron Bows!***

EQUESTRIANS, Lady Gwenhavre Maynard promises a fun course themed around
romance. She hopes to include archery or spear skills in this course.

***Among the prizes for this competition is a set of pass-down barding made
by Lady Gwenhavre, and a 'to keep' pottery carafe and mug with a Celtic
horse design--a nice matched set for the feast table...***

BARDS are challenged to perform three pieces. Two of them will be prepared
ahead of time.  The prepared pieces should be of different disciplines
(instrumental, song, poetry, story, etc.)  The third will be an
extemporaneous piece on a subject to be determined by lot at the
competition.  Extra credit will be given for pieces using the theme of
"Cour d'Amour".

***Among the 'to keep' prizes for this event is a lovely wooden 'book cover'
in which you might tuck your sheet music and other papery things, and a copy
of Master Avatar's renowned book of medieval music.***

THROWN WEAPONS afficianados will not be forgotten, as they will also be
challenged. Informal 'how to' instruction will take place prior to the
competition.

***Among the prizes for this championship is a fine throwing spear.***

The CHILDREN may participate in beading, favor-making, a mini 'Pages' class,
and archery.

For those who like a little mental challenge, we invite you to join us on
our Quest, the Hunt for the Unicorn! The Unicorn has been sighted, but
Questers must hunt out seven Chivalric Virtues and heed their wisdom if they
wish to capture this elusive creature! Persona play and chivalrous behavior
will be rewarded with points that also count towards the Quest.

Artisans, come and display your favorite Arts and Sciences projects upon the
tables provided by Mistress Shanahan the Fey. This is not a competition, but
we'd love to see what you have to share with us.

Music-lovers, hear the songs of the 12th century troubadors live again
through the talents of renowned medieval musical ensemble ISTANPITTA!

Dancers, sweep your partner through romantic period dances, led by Her
Ladyship Signy Gandalvsdottir, who promises a day of light feet and grace.

Shop our merchants, and don't forget to browse the wares donated to the
Texas Renaissance Festival Demo Fund Silent Auction! These funds will go to
support the SCA's huge annual demo at TRF. Please contact Lady Annalies
Pferdehirt at bratina at sbcglobal.net to make donations.

Sate your hunger with the sumptuous fare provided by our Feast Steward, Lady
Gisele de Bier:
1st Course: honey butter, breads, mustard soup
2nd course: roast venison, beef rice, green beans, honey-glazed carrots
3rd course: roast pork, lentils and barley, spinach salad
Dessert: 'Roiel Spycery'
Beverages: tea and water

Please contact the Feast Steward, Lady Gisele, at pkendrick at houston.rr.com
to make reservations, to inquire about ingredients, or if you have dietary
concerns. Reservations are nearly gone!

Then gather 'round the fire to sing your favorite songs, tell your favorite
tales, hear the history of our Barony of the Stargate and the stories of
Ansteorran heroes at our evening Bardic Circle, run by the slightly mad but
always cheerful Marcus Tullus (who assures us that warm non-alcoholic
wassail and cool mint tea will be provided to soothe your throats.)

Merchants are welcome! There is no fee, but we ask a small donation to our
TRF Demo Silent Auction. To make arrangements, please contact Event
Co-Steward Lady Serin le Rapp at
serinlerapp at hotmail.com

FEES: Site fee is $8 adults, $4 ages 6 - 12, ages 5 and under free. Site
family maximum fee $24. Feast fee is $7 adult, $4 ages 6 - 12, ages 5 and
under free. Makes checks payable to the SCA Inc./Canton of Gate's Edge.

Camp Camwood is a DRY SITE. This is a requirement of the site owners and we
will honor this requirement. There is plenty of camping space, so come out
and stay with us, and enjoy the fall weather. Pets allowed on leash with
current WRITTEN proof of rabies vaccination. Horses must have written proof
of negative Coggins. Please bring a copy of the rabies or Coggins tests to
*give* to our Gatekeepers.

Minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Minors may attend
with a 21-year old or older adult with a signed and notarized Minor Event
Waiver Form from the parents.

Please visit the event website at
http://gatesedge.ansteorra.org/files/cour.htm for directions and more
information. More details will be forthcoming. Please feel free to contact
me, Evelun Lambert, with any questions.

Thank you--and we hope to welcome you to our Canton's fall event!
Event Co-Steward Lady Evelun Lambert
corsair at concentric.net