[Ansteorra-announce] ANNOUNCE: KWCS/KWAR Newsletter (long)

C. Bays bayruh at comcast.net
Mon Sep 29 20:27:00 PDT 2003

Please pardon the bandwidth. This newsletter will be posted no more than
once a week for the next 3 weeks (when KWCS/KWAR will happen). Please feel
free to make this available to people not on this list or to other lists.

Robert of Deerbourne
Publicity Coordinator - KWAR/KWCS
deerbourne at caerthe.org

Countdown to Known World Costuming Symposium - Known World Academy of the
Rapier Newsletter

In this Issue:
 - The Denver Renaissance Hotel, Your Best Bet
 - Taming the T-Rex
 - Volunteer at KWCS/KWAR
 - Full Event Announcement
 - A Word From the Autocrats

 The Denver Renaissance Hotel, Your Best Bet

 Please take a moment out of your busy schedule to make your hotel
 reservations with the Renaissance Denver Hotel for KWCS III/KWAR
 soon! The room block that we have reserved at the special rate of $59 a
 night is over 70% sold and going fast! This is a class "A" hotel,
 with all the amenities - ironing boards, refrigerators, complimentary
 coffee, and data ports in the hotel rooms, on-site restaurant and
 lounge, pool and hot tub, and room service. Enjoy the superb
 accommodations and uncompromising service of the Renaissance for
 these world-class events!

 To help you make your decision, we've compiled a list of the top ten
 reasons you should you stay at the Renaissance Denver Hotel for KWAR
 /KWCS

 (drum roll, please...)

 10) Your room is a quiet place to R&R during the event
 9) Less distance to carry all the booty from the Merchant room
 8) Avoid the shower line at your host's two-bedroom apartment
 7) Random late-night quizzes in the elevator could get your name in
 the local newsletter
 6) Yours is not one of the hundreds of cars stuck in the daily lane
 changes and nightly closures of T-REX
 5) You get to sleep on a real bed, instead of your friend's vintage
 lumpy sofa
 4) Your best Elizabethan gets hung in the closet, not rolled up and
 used as a pillow
 3) The special `secret' handshake got you the $59 rate
 2) "Designated Elevator Operator" replaces the "Designated Driver"

 And the Number One reason for staying at the Renaissance Denver Hotel
 is ....
 Your hotel room is two minutes from class, two minutes from the feast, and
 right next door to the yummy Italian Ren in room 206...

 Taming the T-REX

 T-REX is the Billion dollar project to update the valley highway (I-25)
 through the heart Denver. If you are travelling to Denver International
 Airport and renting a car to get to the site then you'll have no problem.
 The completed project to widen I-70 means you'll have smooth sailing to
 the event.

 However, if you are coming in from South of the Denver Metro area, you may
 have to work your way through the jaws of T-REX. If you drive in during
 the day you should no problems other than some slowing traffic here or
 there. T-REX builders are required to leave three lanes open in both
 directions until evening rush ends. After about 8pm, various lane shifts
 and closures can occur.

 Closures, changes and detailed construction updates are available on the
 T-REX web site at: http://www.trexproject.com/ . If you do find yourself
 facing a closure, and you don't want to deal with the posted detour, there
 is a (somewhat pricey) alternative route to the hotel. When you reach the
 South Metro area, take E-470 East. This partially completed toll ring road
 connects to I-70 near Denver International Airport. From there take I-70
 west (following the I-70 directions in the event announcement). Maps and
 detailed prices of the toll road are available at: http://www.e-470.com/

 Volunteer at KWCS/KWAR

 An event this big doesn't run itself. Our staff team is always looking for
 help on projects big and small. Most volunteer positions are for 1-2 hours
 shifts. You can help by volunteering to work a shift or two. We are
 looking for help in:
 - Event Admissions - contact Yuki at Michell.Tillotson at Ulte.com
 - Event Sales Desk (the goodie desk) - contact Eirene at
	maredudd at caerthe.org
 - Hospitality Suite (food and socializing)- contact Mor at
	mor_chathail at yahoo.com
 - Security (The Brute Squad) - contact Fionn at captmac382 at hotmail.com
 - Merchant Schlep Squad (setup and breakdown) - contact Mabina at
	ladymabbina at yahoo.com

 There is less than 30 days left to pre-register for THE Known World event
 of the year, we are coming to you on this and in days hence to insure that
 all who
 will are enticed into attending this "don't miss" weekend. We present for
 your amusement and edification:

 Known World Costuming Symposium III - Known World Academy of the Rapier
 October 17-19, 2003
 Barony of Caerthe, Kingdom of the Outlands (Denver, Colorado)

 Some quick facts:
 18 merchants in our huge merchant room.
 200 class hours - You'll never be bored.
 Enjoy classes on Fencing, Costuming, Dance and a track of joint
 interest classes.
 Indoor and outdoor fencing space
 Costuming displays
 The famous "Walk Through History"
 Legerdemain Roundtable
 Masked Ball with period gaming (no risk to your wallet)
 Hotel rooms at $59 a night (code SCASCAA)
 Raffles throughout the weekend.
 Hospitality Suite

 Schedule (subject to change)

 Friday night:
 Registration opens at 4pm.
 Known World Social - Hosted by Medieval Properties Inc. 7pm
 Join new and old friends from around the Known World for a little get
 together. Enjoy finger foods and our own private cash bar.

 Saturday:
 Registration opens at 7am and closes at 10 pm.
 Merchant room opens at 8 am and closes at midnight.
 Classes being at 10 am. (see event web site for class schedule)

 Featured speakers:
 Robin Netherton will present When Medieval Meets Victorian: the roots
 of Modern Costume Sources
 Tawny Sherrill will be presenting Cesare Vecellio's Costume Book and
 then Myth of Venice
 Don Tivar Moondragon will be presenting The History of Rapier
 Fighting in the SCA
 Evening Feast (final menu available on the event site after Oct 1st) -
 6:30 pm
 Masked Ball - The Come-As-You-Aren't Ball - 8:00 pm
 The Dicing Dragon - Period gaming
 Dancing, dancing and more dancing!

 Other events scheduled for Saturday:
 Pelican ceremony for Her Excellency Doña Countess Aindrea MacCullaich
 Ceremony to invest the Barony of Caerthe's new Vicars.

 Sunday:
 Merchant room opens at 9 am and closes at 3 pm
 Classes begin at 9 am

 Confirmed Merchants:
 Darkridge Jewelers
 Jewels by von Roessler
 Calontir Trim
 Poison Pen Press
 The Spanish Peacock
 Dark River Caravan
 Darkwood Armory
 Funny Farm
 Urusala's Alcove
 All things Sharp
 Pastiche Inc.
 Canyon Keep Enterprises
 Castle Furnishings
 The Merlion's Tail / Sewing Central
 The Silk Robe
 Realms of Regalia
 Denver's own Wizard's Chest (selling masks for the ball)

 Event Details:

 Site: Denver Renaissance Hotel - I-70 and Quebec (maps on the web site)

 Hotel shuttles are available from Denver International Airport.

 Event fees:
 Site: Adults: $25 for two days  / Kids: 5 to 12 $12.50 for two days  /
 Under 4: Free
 (The feast is sold out. There is a restaurant on site plus numerous
 eateries across the street at Quebec Center.)
 Note: The Masked Ball and Feast are separate events. Even if you don't
 attend the feast, please come to the ball.

 Full event details are available on the event web site:
 www.caerthe.org/knownworld

 Join the KWcs-ar list for up-to-date information -
 KWcs-ar-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

 KWCS Autocrat: Despôtissa Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina -
 eirenetz at caerthe.org

 KWAR Autocrat: The Honorable Lady Rivka Vladimirovna Rivkina -
 rivka at caerthe.org

 A Word From the Autocrats

 THL Rivka - KWAR Autocrat

 Are you ready to fence until you drop?  Have we got the schedule for you!
 Two full tracks of practical fencing classes on Saturday, and three tracks
 on Sunday.  That's right!  For your fencing and educational pleasure we
 added another whole track of practical classes on Sunday.  There's still
 space for more classes if you have knowledge of the more esoteric concepts
 associated with fencing.  Come teach a class on Honor and Honorable
Quarrels
 or on How to Be a Courtier.  We'll get you scheduled.  Finally, be sure to
 get a room in the hotel.  There's so much going on, you don't want to miss
 minute of it because you're stuck in T-Rex construction!

 Mistress Eirene - KWCS Autocrat

 The class schedule is nearly full! Clothing classes spanning from England
 to China, from basic research to high Elizabethan promise to satisfy both
 the novice and expert clothier at KWCS III. And yet, there's still room
 for more. I could use classes for the Medieval and Renaissance,
 Non-European, and Eastern European tracks. Even if the schedule fills,
 we'll have need for people to teach on a contingency basis, that is to
 fill the inevitable cancellations. If you have signed up to teach - and
 even if you haven't - do not hesitate to send your class notes to Mistress
 Tatiana (tatiana at rialto.org) for inclusion in the Proceedings. The
 Proceedings is one of the most widely sought-after products of collegia
 such as this, and your efforts will go far in teaching the Known World.
 Yes, the deadline has passed, but Mistress Tatiana is still able to accept
 a few more submissions, but time is very limited.