[Ansteorra-announce] Stefan's Florilegium files for September

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Sep 5 16:08:11 PDT 2004

Greetings to the Gentles of the Known World,

Here is a copy of my monthly article for September detailing what is
new in the Florilegium this month.

While I believe this article should be showing up on all of the SCA
kingdom lists, through my representatives if I can't email directly to
the lists, I have no way of knowing myself whether it is getting there.
So, if you see that it is isn't please contact me. I like to have both
a representative and a backup for all the kingdom lists. For most
kingdoms, I am still missing back-up representatives. These folks also
get the article but wait a day or two to post it to make sure the main
representative doesn't do so, before posting. I don't wish to post to a
list twice, but sometimes folks quit, go out of town, or change their
email addresses without sending me the new one.

As always, I am always looking for new material for the Florilegium. I
am only the editor of the Florilegium. The material in it comes from
others and I can not monitor all local newsletters or the hundreds of
SCA oriented mail lists. If you see or have written an article that
others in the SCA might be interested in, please send it to me for
consideration. Message threads or even individual messages from public
mail lists may be useable. Please send them. A&S documentation and
class handouts often work if they will stand alone without the class or
the project. Since the copyright stays with the author and I will
accept updates, you can start out with a handout and exchange it for a
more formal article later.

Stefan
---------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past fourteen years in an ongoing effort, I have been
collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail
lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make
this information available to others, I have placed this information in
a series of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article
that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me
for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. Contact me for more details.

I am also interested in volunteers who might be interested in helping
me maintain the Florilegium. Everything from collecting materials,
editing and web work is needed. Again, please contact me for more
details.

      THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

One of my prime concerns currently is to update all files to the new
format which includes several new features such as making links
"pickable" and some  disguising of all email addresses to make it
harder for the spammer's programs to harvest email addresses from this
site. I support the execution of any convicted spammer. Yes, I am
modifying all 1800+ files as fast as I can. This  means that while I
will continue to add new files each month, the usual amount will  be
reduced. However, as I update the files to the new format, I am adding
any information I have waiting to go in a file, so there will be more
updated files. Please let me know if you like the new format or have
any suggestions.

Here are the new files for this month:

In the CLOTHING section:
    costuming-lnks       Links to medieval clothing by Dame Aoife
                            Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the PERSONAL CARE section:
    On-Rehydration-art   "On Rehydration" by Galen of Ockham, MC, OP.
                            Keeping hydrated on and off the field.
In the SCA-CAMPING section:
    SCA-camping-lnks     Links to camping in medieval style
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the STRUCTURES section:
    castles-lnks         Links on medieval castles and fortifications
                            by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon.
In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
    weaving-lnks	     Web links on weaving by Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos
Mon.

Here are just a some of the updated files, usually those with the
largest amounts of new material:
    almond-cream-msg     A sweet custard filling used in sotelties.
    fur-msg              Use of fur in period. Dyeing it., fake fur.
    games-msg            Medieval board games and sports.
    horn-msg             Working with horn. drinking horns.
    leather-msg          Working with leather. tanning.
    metals-msg           Medieval and modern metals and alloys.
    polishing-msg        Period polishing and sanding materials.
    sculpture-msg        Period sculpture. Terra-cotta sculpture.
    soapmaking-msg       Period and modern soapmaking techniques.
    soapstone-msg        Use of Soapstone in period. Modern sources.
    sports-msg           Medieval sports.
---
Copyright 2004, Mark S. Harris.
Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if
the contents are left unchanged and the author is notified of the
publication. Notification may be by email and reformatting is allowed.

<end>
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com