[Ansteorra-chirurgeon] And now the best answer possible to a badquestion

Thaine Briscoe rurikthered at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 6 21:41:50 PDT 2004

I have rather enjoyed this discussion. As a father of 4 (1 son and three
daughters) I find myself mixed. While I greatly appreciate the
willingness of people to make sure my children are "protected" from
their actions (or potential actions). The idea that my children can
possible go to someone else and asked and obtain what they need to
justify their actions bothers me.  As a chirurgeon, I would not hand
them out to a minor no matter what the law states. Even though I might
be "safe" from criminal action, I will still be subject to civil action
(remember OJ, acquitted of criminal murder charges but found responsible
civilly for wrongful death). Also as a Medical professional, (I am a
Texas EMT Intermediate) because of my higher training, I am far more
likely to be sued since someone could interpret my actions as
"prescribing"  which I am not licensed to do and therefore practicing
medicine without a license. My certification will only protect me if I
am operating in an official capacity of my employment and do not exceed
the direction provided by my Medical Director (the doctor whose license
I operate under). Having said that, I am not protected by my Texas EMT
alone and could face criminal and certainly civil charges. Besides, I am
already paying too much in child support to even consider paying for
someone else's because I choose to give a 15 year old a condom to have
sex at an event

My understanding of HIPPA laws are that I am not allowed to disclose any
medical information to anyone who does not have the need (someone
directly involved in the patient's care).  This does not apply to the
parent's of minors as I am directly responsible for my children and
therefore have the legal right to access any and all things pertaining
to their health care. So by law I am required to disclose this
information to the parents or legal guardians if so asked, (unless the
minor can produce the proper court papers proving that the have been
emancipated). Stepping on the parental rights can be very tricky and
even if you are safe from criminal prosecution will not save you from
civil prosecution.

Only my humble opinion,

Rurik