[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 1, Issue 3547

tracey sawyer tfsawyer at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 23 00:05:04 PDT 2003

sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org wrote:

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:02:08 -0600
From: Sue Clemenger
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 1, Issue 3544
To: Cooks within the SCA

Are you working with homogenized/pasteurized milk, or
non-homogenized/pasteurized milk? (or some variant thereof)
I'm asking because I don't know if there are differences between Aussie
and US milk which might affect a natural souring like this...
I might have to give it a try, anyway! ;-D
--maire

REPLY:

Ideally it should be whole milk from the cow - but I don't have access to one so I just used pasteurised, homogenized store bought milk ...following a recipe from the local CWA (Country Women's Association).

 It is so simple though, that it cannot have changed throughout time,  basically let it sour, drain it and eat it....

John Seymour in his book "Self-Sufficiency" says you need to take milk from 2 or more cows.

BUT - if you only have 1 cow, use milk from the night milking, in the morning stir the cream in FIRST before you add the morning milk, or the cream from the night milk will drip out with the whey...

If using store bought milk and cream, you add the cream later so this isn't a problem.

Regards, Lowry

  Lady Lowry ferch Gwynwynwyn ap Llewelyn   mka: Tracey Sawyer