[Sca-cooks] Cadoc's thoughts on the lenten diet.

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 05:29:13 PST 2005

I've been doing the lenten diet thing for the past week.

Aside from an incident with crackers, that had butter in them, I
haven't strayed from the diet. (Who puts butter in crackers?!)

Here is what I have been doing.  I cut out all dairy, meat, and
eggs.  And I have been eating only fish, veggies, nuts and grains.
Whole grains at that.  I've cut my animal protein back to reflect
that I have been eating  fish from a stocked pond maybe that
hasn't been restocked and played with salt cod one night.  I've
been eating more "storage items" and less fresh ones.  I cut
back on the amounts I am eating as well, because it is a fast.
(would you stuff yourself silly on a "slow"?)

I haven't done any persiod recipes with it though.  My meal
method is "I survey what I have and figure it out then."  Some
of my cooking methods are period though.

As to the physical effects: none.  I'm not too far off my normal
diet at this point.  I just adjusted the composition.  Though
I have had to skip out on some work provided meals.

Also, uhm, sushi is a perfect lenten food.  :-)

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson