[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Feb 2 03:20:45 PST 2005

Also sprach Chris Stanifer:
>Now, when it comes to substituting 'V' for 'U', I do have a problem
>with that, and find it
>unneccesary.  Call me practical, or a whiner, but that's one of my
>pet peeves (of which I have an
>ample supply).
>
>VVilliam de Grandfort

I can see how the seemingly gratuitous transposition of "V's" and
"U's" might seem a little pretentious (I _hate_ it when SCAdians
insist on spelling it "armour", and what is even worse, default to
the UK spellings of everything as if it somehow more correct).

However, in the matters of V's and U's, there's a reason why you'd
use one versus the other, and it has little to do with the language
being used (although, listening to spoken Latin, you might think
otherwise), but rather, the medium. Block or Roman text carved on
stone more or less always defaults to a "V", cursive on
clay-and-stylus or wax-and-stylus often uses both, but sometimes
defaults to a "U", and quill on parchment usually seems to default to
a "U". Carved printing blocks, again, often default to a "V".

Which is not to say the transposition is never pretentious and unnecessary...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04