[Sca-cooks] Natron

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Feb 2 13:33:25 PST 2005

I asked Paul Buell his opinion of this recipe as to whether the soda was a
leavening or a flavoring and I remember he believed it was not being used
for leavening.  I think the conversation may be in the Florilegium.  If not,
and if you want the comments, I'll try to locate the exchange.

I have yet to find anything to definitely show the use of chemical leavens
prior to the 18th Century, but there are one or two references just prior to
the 17th Century that refer to hartshorn, which may be actual deer antler or
ammonium carbonate.  This might be a leaven or it might be an aphrodisiac.

There was a long conversation on chemical leavens a couple of years ago and
some of that may have made it into the Florilegium also.

Bear