[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 15:40:25 PST 2005

UlfR wrote:

>For to make hollandaise. Nym a quantite fresh butter of kine & melt him
>in a pot and lat it kele.  Take zolks of ayren and fresh water & beat
>them together in a potte until they be thick ynow & put þerto the clear
>layer of the butter to the ayren and myng it wel but lat not seeþ after.
>Pour sour juice of lemons or of vynegur thereto & serve it forth.
>
>Awaiting the flames from the linguists,
>
>UlfR

Not a linguistic flame (not a flame, actually), but a culinary comment.
I would be *very* surprised to see lemon juice in a recipe written in
Middle English.  Even in the Mediterranean corpus, there's very little
use of lemon until late period.  This is one reason that I'm sure that
"Lemonwhyte" from (feh!) "Fabulous Feasts" is an invented recipe.  I
think verjus might be a more appropriate choice.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net