[Sca-cooks] Noty or Notye

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 16:13:57 PST 2005

--- Robin Carroll-Mann <rcmann4 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Not a linguistic flame (not a flame, actually), but a culinary comment.
> I would be *very* surprised to see lemon juice in a recipe written in
> Middle English.  Even in the Mediterranean corpus, there's very little
> use of lemon until late period.

There is a mosaic in Pompeii which depicts a lemon.
There are lemon-shaped earrings found in the Indus Valley dating back to 2500 BC
Crusaders returning to Europe from Palestine were said to have carried lemons back with them.

"    The first clear literary evidence of the lemon tree in any language dates from the early
tenth-century Arabic work by Qustus al-Rumi in his book on farming.3 At the end of the twelfth
century, Ibn Jami’, the personal physician to the great Muslim leader Saladin, wrote a treatise on
the lemon, after which it is mentioned with greater frequency in the Mediterranean"

The above citation is from an online article written by Clifford A Wright.
http://www.cliffordawright.com/history/lemonade.html

I have also heard that the Greeks may well have been cultivating lemons within our early period of
interest.

William de Grandfort

=====
Through teeth of sharks, the Autumn barks.....and Winter squarely bites me.