[Sca-cooks] Out of the food topic altogether rant Authenticity police

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 7 11:26:09 PST 2005

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>>While I was
>>holding the book it came out of in my hands. Some of you might even know
>>the book called the Complete Dagger Licking Good. Written by one of our own
>>people. Which I must say has a recipe for Herbed Lemon- garlic Chicken on
>>page 87. .
>>

>Hm.. Do you happen to remember where the original recipe comes from?
>See, here I am doing it again, but I don't think I'm likely to get the
>book, so I may be able to find the original recipe and make a version of
>it for myself!

Jadwiga,

I have the book on my shelf.  It's the updated edition of 1986.  The
author, Mistress T'sivia, does not claim authenticity for all the
recipes in the book.  She says in the introduction that her original
purpose (in 1978) was to compile period and period-style recipes
suitable for SCA feasts.  Some of the recipes are derived from period
cookbooks, and in those cases she indicates the source.  The recipe for
Herbed Lemon-Garlic Chicken is labelled as "French in style and
flavour".  It is not adapted from a period recipe.

--
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net