[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 09:52:57 PST 2005

One thing to be aware of is that, in some ways, it would be easier for
us than for them - but in many ways it would be harder.

Easier because of availability of foodstuffs. The substitutions you
mention here,for example. Fresh fish, even in Montana (as previously
discussed.) Frozen and even fresh vegetables even in February. I mostly
avoid dairy anyway, and am drinking soy milk as I write...

The difficulties are harder to pin down, but they are pervasive. This is
hard sometimes to remember, but...

If you were a typical Western European at home in most of the Middle
Ages, you might not personally know *anyone* who was not also following
Lenten regulations. You almost certainly did not know anyone well, who
was not.

That's a biggie.

OK, you were aware of Jews. You might even have a nodding acquaintance
with one, if you were urban, and perhaps some business dealings with
them. But most people in most places didn't even really have that, and
they "ate funny" anyway. You knew of the Saracen, but in Northern
Europe, you hadn't met any. (Spain is an entire story unto itself...)

What does this mean?

- You don't have to explain anything. People know what you are doing,and
why, and how to follow the details. After all, they're doing it, too.

-  Nobody thinks what you are doing is weird. They don't expect you to
explain it (which we have already seen on this list!) or defend it.

- You had learned to cook this way at your mother's knee. You didn't
have to think about it -it was automatic.  We learn things to do with
hamburger - they learned things to do with salt cod...

- And here's the key - nobody is going to unintentionally hand you
something you can't eat. They won't put milk in your coffee (to use a
modern example) as a knee jerk reaction. They won't kindly and
thoughtfully make a fish dish so you can join them for dinner - and use
chicken broth in it (One of the most common modern issues... When I was
a kid, we joked you could tell the Catholic households - we had
G.Washington Golden Broth Mix,instead of HerbOx Chicken bouillon
cubes... you could use it on Friday! I now have neither...) My dad used
to go nuts - he chose to continue the abstinence from meat all year, as
he had most of his life. The place he lived only served clam chowder,
which he loved, on Fridays - but made it with meat broth! ("They're
missing the point!!") If they'd served it on a Thursday, he'd have been
happy...*G* He wasn't trying to make anyone join him - he just wanted
clam chowder. (They always had vegetarian options, so dinner was not an
issue.)

They had a built in support system. It helps...

Doing it for one week might be interesting. When you say Easter Week,
may I assume you mean Holy Week? (Easter Week is the week after Easter -
a time of feasting. Holy Week is the week before - Palm Sunday through
Holy Saturday - a time of fasting.) That gives some prep time - aside
from anything else,it's really interesting to look at what we're eating.
There are things we really don't think about! ('Lainie mentioned mayo.
Oh - duh- I knew that...  must read labels on salad dressings...)

AEllin