[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 12:13:19 PST 2005

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Meanwhile, back at Lent;  about three years ago
>>I did a fish based
>>luncheon at Black Oak Lodge, which usually
>>falls during Lent.  A grand
>>pot of bouillebaise-type fish stew with home
>>made breads without fat.
>> Quite sumptuous by modern standards yet
>>satisfied my sense of
>>propriety.   Why is a nice Jewish Pagan girl
>>practically the only cook
>>in Caid to pay attention to Lent?  It's a
>>history thing, they don't
>>understand me.
>>
>>Selene
>>

>Which "they" are you talking about?  I hope I
>am not included.  I understand why you are
>interested.

I said, "practically."  I somehow knew you would pipe up.  <smile>

You never ran an event for which I was cooking during springtime. Darach
Shire's Black Oak Lodge every year except this year is during Lent [they
are in construction now, fixing the paths to the bathrooms.  Imagine
that??!].  Also the SCA Board meeting that Caid hosted and I catered,
not less than a decade ago now but also during the affected time.  The
autocrat didn't want any darned fish day menu so I had to comply.  I
satisfied my inner Period Snob by getting one of the local "SCA Saints"
to calligraph a formal Indulgence.  The real Catholics, I reasoned, were
on their own.

>I have a vague recollection of Countess Isabel
>doing a Lenten feast quite a few years ago.

I have no memory of that one.  Can you remember specifics?

I keep threatening to do a grand Fish Feast for seafood lovers only.
 Maybe not during Lent though, so we can use other animal products and
fats, eggs, frying media, etc.  "Just call me Friar Duck!"

Selene