[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 11:45:50 PST 2005

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Meanwhile, back at Lent;  about three years ago
> I did a fish based
> luncheon at Black Oak Lodge, which usually
> falls during Lent.  A grand
> pot of bouillebaise-type fish stew with home
> made breads without fat.
>  Quite sumptuous by modern standards yet
> satisfied my sense of
> propriety.   Why is a nice Jewish Pagan girl
> practically the only cook
> in Caid to pay attention to Lent?  It's a
> history thing, they don't
> understand me.
>
> Selene

Which "they" are you talking about?  I hope I
am not included.  I understand why you are
interested.

I have a vague recollection of Countess Isabel
doing a Lenten feast quite a few years ago.

Why am I not paying attention to Lent?  I am,
but I am not a Catholic.  I am a Reformation era
Protestant. Protestants of my era were distancing
themselves from Catholic practices in an extreme
fashion.  Even in today's world, for a Protestant
to even cross his/herself is looked upon as a
Catholic practice, when it really should be seen
as a catholic practice.  [Note: there is a
difference between Catholic and catholic.]

I have a suggestion for those who wish to partake
of a Lentan diet.  During the Middle Ages, a
Christian followed a Lentan diet because it was a
part of their faith.  Lent was a time where they
also increased their church attendance and
confession.  Since several of you have stated
that you aren't religious or not Catholic, in
addition to doing your week of the diet, why
not set aside an hour or two from your busy
schedules to do an enforced period of research or
meditation. Just as we have busy schedules today,
so did a person from the Middle Ages.  Probably
more so, as they didn't have all the conveniences
that we have today.  This would give you an idea,
not only of what their diet was like, but also
what their life would have been like.  Just
an idea.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.